Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 SE and am in midwest with lots of salty winters.

Heard some banging from rear end. Jacked up car and found a bushing out of the short control arm. This is the front arm but on the rear of the vehicle.

I got the old one tore out tonight but the bolts were rusted tight and I had to use a torch I borrowed from my dad to heat the nuts up to glowing red before I could get them to turn.

Unfortunately, the nylon inserts are totally melted. What should I do?

Put some loc-tite on the bolt and thread it back in?

Torch off nut and replace with nyloc nut that is not welded in place?

Torch off the nut and weld a new one in place?

Does dealership even sell replacement weld nuts?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Choices - Locktite or cut off nut & use replacement nylock.

Usually better not to torch off nuts, cut off wheel/grinder to hit the tack points isn't as likely to damage something you want to save...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Hadn't thought of grinding off the tack weld. I'll have to see if my grinder will fit in there.

The bolt head is somewhat rounded off. Called dealer this morning and bolt is no longer available. Guess I'll go to hardware store and see if I can get a new grade 8 bolt and matching nyloc nut.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Small cutoff wheel on a die grinder might fit easier in tight places if you have that option avail., use it often myself.

·
Registered
34 Posts
All the bolts and nuts are available. I just replaced everyone of them on my 2003 within that last few weeks. You may want to contact Steve or try another dealer. They are a bit pricey but all were available.

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts