Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My '03 SVTF is stuck in 6th. The gearbox is in sixth. The shifter is in sixth.

The clutch is good. The cables appear to be fine. All four cable ends are still connected. The plastic bits that hold the cables in place are all in the correct locations. If they come apart, is it obvious or does a tiny little gap screw things up? I did find the remains of a broken cable tie down behind the gearbox.

Moving the shifter causes the correct levers on the gearbox to move (just not far enough). I cannot move the lever with the counterweight (fore/aft at the shifter) by hand enough to get to neutral. I have not yet tried to disconnect the cables at the gearbox end and move the lever by hand. Can you even get enough leverage to shift it by hand?

Any thoughts would be great. Unfortunately, this cost me a rallycross. I hope it doesn't also cost me a new gearbox. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I popped off all of the cable ends. The counterweight should come toward the driver's side to get it out of sixth. It still moves a bit, but then stops. It sure seems that I should be able to shift it by hand, but if anyone knows for sure, please let me know.

Is there anything else external that could be the problem?

I've been poking around the threads and I think I won't be doing a swap myself. I usually try to do all of my own work, but it looks like a serious PITA!

Smiley - What do you want for the gearbox? Are you willing to ship it? What's the story on having an extra Getrag hanging around? Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got confirmation on FJ that I should be able to shift it by hand at the box. So it looks like time for a new tranny. After seeing quotes on labor for this, I decided to take it on myself. I'll put up a new thread on a shopping list/what else needs to be done.

TSmiley - I'll send you a PM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts