Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my brakes today. New rotors and pads up front, rears to follow. While trying to compress the piston on the caliper, I noticed that the drivers side was MUCH harder to compress than the passengers side. I was able to compressit eventually, but it took a hell of a lot of trying.
Could I have a bad caliper? I have been reading about “stuck” caliber pistons and I think that I may have this problem. But like I said, I was able to compress it, it was just much harder that the other. After I went out for a drive, everything felt great from the drivers seat. Out side was a different story. The drivers side was MUCH hotter than the passengers.
Thoughts???

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yep! Time for a new caliper. When they seize up it is usually when you push the piston back in and the seal is now over an area that is corroded from moisture in the system.

The reason for the hot rotor is the piston is not retracting after the brake application and is dragging the pad on the rotor. Fix it fast or you will be buy pads again and a rotor.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hose?? The brake line? is that what you mean?
How could that cause the caliper to stick?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it necessary or recommended to change the calipers on both sides if you are going to one?

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is what I did. Your Mileage May Vary - YMMV.

I had my car up on blocks in an ocean front town for two months. First month was due to having two full time jobs, second month due to inclement weather.

When I went to press the pistons in, they would not budge. I pushed the brake pedal and they would come out, and I could easily push them back in with my hands to the point there were stuck.

I lifted up the boot at the end of the caliper, filled the boot with fluid film and repeated the process of pushing the brake pedal to push them out 1/2 a cm - 5mm or 1/5 inch. On the first piston it worked the first shot but I hadn't tried pushing the piston out with the brake predal until the penetrating oil was in there for about 30 minutes.

On the second piston. I tried immediately pushing the piston in, when that failed, I pushed it out with the brake pedal a couple mm, tried pushing it in and it was stuck. I filled it with fluid film again and pushed it out a couple mm. I let it site a few minutes and then it went in no problem.

Not sure how moisture got in there, he fluid film was well contained within the boot.

Hope this saves someone in a jam. YMMV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts