Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious how can I tell if I have an STS I know I have a Steeda knob on my car and the R lockout. The shifter doesn't look as tall as the stock ones I have seen in pictures. I don't know for sure I bought my car used. The shifter in it now doesn't feel anything like the STS in my dad's mustang but I've never felt any other type of STS. Please let me know how I could tell!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
for cars with r lockout u can but a short throw that has r lockout as well but chances are its just the knob take off the boot and take a look at the shifter rod if its got a black plastic housing that covers the shifter rod chances are it is stock since thats how mine was till i just removed the plastics housing thing that worked the reverse lockout

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
for cars with r lockout u can but a short throw that has r lockout as well but chances are its just the knob take off the boot and take a look at the shifter rod if its got a black plastic housing that covers the shifter rod chances are it is stock since thats how mine was till i just removed the plastics housing thing that worked the reverse lockout
thats what i did too. also, i dont know if it really helps my shifts or not but i cut about and inch or so off of the stock shifter. suprisingly it wasnt that hard to cut through with a hacksaw

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
You will have to pull the shifter boot to check. from the center of the back of it push forward and up and it should come out. Not too hard though or it will break. It's very thin plastic. Only has to move about 1/8" for the tabs to come out.

[2000 - 2002.5]
Then reach your hand under the cable in the center of the shift base. If it sinks below the shifter base and sits damn near on the floor of the car ... it's a sure bet it's a short throw shifter of some kind.

Awe crap. You have the newer design. Oh well I'm not going to erase all that. Someone may find it helpful at some point.

I think the newer ones are similar but I can't remember.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
my Steeda/FRPP STS has a metal reverse lock out while my stock one had plastic. Not sure about the b&m though, haven't seen one.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
thats what i did too. also, i dont know if it really helps my shifts or not but i cut about and inch or so off of the stock shifter. suprisingly it wasnt that hard to cut through with a hacksaw
All that does is give you a shorted shifter. You do get a little shorter throw, but you're using the same angle so not losing much. A short throw shifter is also on a different angle & a shorter height.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks Iminhell I'll have to do that.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn you to hell double post!!!!