Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just checked out the official suspension thread and all the links are dead and I don't want to lower the car really. I have a regular old cheap 2007 SE Sedan with 100K miles and when I corner right and hit any bump I get a nasty noise in the right front tire.

I want to replace the struts and shocks like a good boy should at 100K but all the stickies seem to be for lowering etc. The only thing I guess I wouldn't mind is the SVT suspension since it's factory ford stuff. I don't think I'd mind the .75 inch drop but I want it to ride nice too but would like it a little less wobbly(top heavy?) than stock, the body seems to roll more than any other car i've driven since day 1 of ownership. I don't want to just get random A1 auto struts I want to do this right, maybe something even better than factory if it's not too much more $. I don't want to tune them either, unless there's a guide out there telling exactly what to set a 2007 focus SE to on whatever struts/shocks I get.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
For the handling/roll question you need to tell us if you have a factory rear sway bar.

Noise in the right front corner could use investigation, can't assume its a strut issue.

They're certainly due by mileage, so it's a good time to figure out what you want for replacements.

Love the SVT suspension myself, but availability is getting limited & adapters would be needed for the front struts on yours. (decent ride, nicer than the Wife's '08 Civic when I installed it)

"Quick Struts" that are entire strut assemblies are a good option when replacing with stock type units. Saw a thread this year mentioning finding Moog ones for around $70 ea. IIRC. Shocks alone are used in the rear as you know. Any name brand should be OK for stock replacements.

Cheers

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, so some SE models came with or without the rear sway bar? How do I tell? If I see some sort of bar going from the rear tire I won't be able to tell if it's a sway bar but I am happy to pull the wheel off and take pictures. I am pretty inexperienced with suspension, done a couple brake jobs and that's it in this category. I just read a little bit about the missing rear sway bar in the official suspension thread. Seems like not a good thread for anyone owning a 2006+ focus.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Finally got back to see if you'd posted.

Looking under the back of the car you can see large arms from near the center to the wheel area (springs set on them). IF you see something hanging down from them near the middle, that's the link from the arm to the end of the sway bar.

Easy enough to see that I can tell when driving & following a Focus.

Nothing hanging under those rear lower arms, no sway bar.

There ARE kits to add the mounts to ones that didn't come with one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AWE BOO, I really hope I have a rear sway bar, I doubt it. I think my noise in the front is the front sway bar links, I had some noise in both front tires when hitting bumps straight on a year or so ago but that went away. I want to breathe some new life into this car as I am planning to run it into the ground over the next 5-10 years. OEM replacement motor mounts are my next project.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
My stock front links didn't give a warning noise.

One just froze up & broke the shaft one day. Grabbed Autozone ones for a quick fix ($20 ea.).

Mine'll be run 'till nothing is left, rust is starting to show it's working on it now (boo).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Crap, maybe I'll replace the front sway bar links asap as I plan/save up for this job. No rear sway bar for me, this explains the ridiculous body roll I experience?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ah that's the one I was looking at. If the SVT suspension comes with just the rear sway bar, what brackets do I need? These? It looks like the ones used in that thread are specifically for the eibach sway bar kit (quite expensive). I could maybe keep the stock front sway bar and get the adapters for the front struts and install the SVT suspension then later install the rear sway with the steeda rear sway bar hardware kit ? Would still need tack welding?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no luck finding adapters to fit the 05 SVT front struts on my 2007 SE. I'll continue my search tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Welding gets recommended because despite the kit being "bolt on", squeaks are a typical issue solved that way.

Look at "Massive", a vendor advertising here for the 'Omni Kit" to adapt '00-'05 struts to '06-'11 cars.

You can find their section here:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71 along with a direct link to their website.

Adding the rear bar alone will work with the SVT one, won't be too much with your stock front.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
If you don't want to use an adapter for the fronts (omni kit), they do make the svt suspension kit for 06-07 cars. Part number is m-18000-zx3b, and you can find them on eBay still for about 200 bucks. These are just the dampers though, no other parts included.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
If you don't want to use an adapter for the fronts (omni kit), they do make the svt suspension kit for 06-07 cars. Part number is m-18000-zx3b, and you can find them on eBay still for about 200 bucks. These are just the dampers though, no other parts included.
This^^^^^^^ & of course you'll need to use your oem springs or use '06+ springs.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Those are actually just the dampers, tasca is actually where I got mine from. If you don't want to lower your car, you can use your oem springs. You'll just have to rent a spring compressor from auto zone.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
any problem with reusing the original springs with 100K miles on them?

Will any old SVT springs do the trick or do I need something specific for the 06-07 dampers?

I wouldn't mind the peace of mind of new springs and normal size springs for the SVT dampers. I don't think I would notice the .5 inch drop much, would probably make it look nice with very little wheel gap.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Those '06-'07 dampers aren't "SVT", they're "FRPP" and fitted 1.5" drop springs for those years originally.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Right, I thought the frpp dampers had the exact same valving rates as the svt ones.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If the FRPP struts and shocks came with 1.5 inch drop springs, wouldn't using hte OEM springs decrease performance? Or would I have good ride and good suspension with the FRPP struts and shocks and my OEM springs?

These are my options

00-05 SVT Suspension
http://massivespeedsystem.com/_mass...it_suspension_adaptor/mass10106/i-252473.aspx

http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepar...ithout-rear-swaybar-103p1736.htm#.U_4MbvldVPM

http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepar...-Kit-for-00-05-Focus-98p1233.htm#.U_4MUvldVPM

$568.05 + shipping for all components (probably pay a shop to put springs on the rear shock)

FRPP Suspension with OEM springs
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FORD-RA...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d80d71ac&vxp=mtr

http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepar...ithout-rear-swaybar-103p1736.htm#.U_4MbvldVPM

$379.95 + shipping on the sway bar (probably will pay a shop 50$ to swap the springs over to the new dampers)

$429.95 ?

I want better handling and ride quality but I'm not racing. It's hard to justify going to the SVT route. Especially since OEM springs are completely reusable. I think if I had a 2005, I would definitely get te SVT, that 90$ for the adapters is kinda steep.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts