Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey whats up im upgrading my suspension right now and just wondering does the strut tower brace fit with the stock air box on i was told it dosent but i think it should anyone can help please oh i got a sedan with the spi if that makes a differance thanks

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
wish I knew but why would they build something that you had to do other mods first to put on dosen't sound good for busines

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i guess i lucked out i got one that worked i got the steeda one it has a little bend in it so it fits propery but thanks for the replies

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
cool thats the one I was planning on getting

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Its really a question of do you want to spend $50-$80 on something that is only going to improve your engine bay appearance? The strut towers are so close to the firewall that it really doesn't matter, not to mention, it doesn't triangulate on a third point so its questionable as to what its effectiveness would be even if the strut towers weren't so close to a large, thick piece of metal.

I just wish someone would've told me that before I bought mine...[?|]

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Depends on the car ^^^^ and the brace, some work better than others...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've got an '05 ZX3, granted there is no difference in the suspension from the older Foci, but I sure can tell the difference with and without the upper strut bar.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Most car bodies are very stiff when they leave the factory. But you have to remember that modern cars are held together with just spot welds and mastics (glue). Thats one reason why when a car is race prepared it is stripped of all the glue and then seam welded. This is the only way to truly stiffen the car (all well as the installation of a multi-point cage). A new car will loosen up over time as the mastics compress etc. A strut bar will help maintain chassis rigidity over time and can seem to be a miracle cure for older loose cars. Don't expect much from one on a newer car. I'd definitely add one (and have) if you intend to rallycross, autocross (if you class allows it), or do track lapping. While it may not initially stiffen things up, it can help from thinks loosening prematurally.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts