Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A year ago, I had a shop put on my struts and shocks and now a year later I noticed that the strut nut (the center nut in the pic below [pic is form the how-to section]) is halfway off.

Can I tighten the nut without taking the entire strut off the car?? Or do I need to take it off and compress the spring?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
You usually need a special wrench to get down in the hole, or a "o" ratchet. Then you hold the strut shaft still with the Allen wrench and tighten the nut. You might be able to find a big offset wrench to do it with, or a crow's foot flared wrench- fits on a 3/8 square drive, but is deeper than a crow's foot. I think you can rent those, but I can't remember what the kit was for.

I'd be more curious to find out why it loosened. You might need to locate a nylon locking nut, or put a dab of blue thread lock on it. Don't use red.

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
you can tighten the nut with it on the car.

When i put in my new struts the nuts were to large for the strut, so it appears they are not tight. The nuts are tight as possible, no issues. I never hurts to check, but it might actually be tight enough. You would hear a LOUD clunk if it was halfway loose.

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
Can you take it back to the shop that put the struts on your car?

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you can tighten the nut with it on the car.

When i put in my new struts the nuts were to large for the strut, so it appears they are not tight. The nuts are tight as possible, no issues. I never hurts to check, but it might actually be tight enough. You would hear a LOUD clunk if it was halfway loose.
I do hear a clunk and I thought I didnt tighten the motor mount correctly but it turns out that the motor mount is fine but the strut is whats clunking

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the loose nut

Here is the other strut

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yup - Loose...

The "cheat" method that SOMETIMES works, is to find a friend with an impact wrench, a couple quick hits with that SHOULD tighten it right up. If it doesn't, you need the allen wrench & whatever fits the nut. The "issue" is that it's a "special tool" that has a hole in the center of the ratchet for the allen key....

Luck!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
All you gotta do is tighten it with an impact gun. Worked on mine every-time I've done struts on a car.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thanks guys.. as long as I don't have to take the whole damn thing out lol

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
another method that works....

Use an open end wrench and come in from the top on two of the flat surfaces of the nut. Then use another wrench or screw driver in the other end of the open end wrench to turn the nut/wrench (it all forms a 'T' like shape). You can get a hex key/allen wrench in there at the same time.

This works well when rust is not a problem.....

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Making a special tool...
get a long socket
Stick an appropriate Allen wrench to contact that recess, Drill a hole sideways to stick a screwdriver blade in, offset to clear the Allen wrench blade. Of course you will have to heat the socket walls to red hot to soften the metal. Stick socket in shallow pan of water to avoid softening up the metal by the end.

CORRECTION:

Grind two flats into this long socket, a crescent wrench will be able to turn this tool or perhaps even a vice grip pliers

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
This is what I was referring to. Not the traditional crowfoot which won't fit in there. As you can see from this pic this one is deeper which would give you enough to get down in there. I think I saw these for rent at one of the parts stores near where I live. This picture is misleading because it's a 3/4" drive 1 1/4" socket.

I can't remember what else the tool is used for, or how it was listed in their rent description. I desperately need to pick up an O-ratchet for myself. It's one of those tools that you might not use all the time, but when you need it, you'll be glad you have it. You can't really tell what it is in this picture, but the center of the ratchet is open allowing you to either put something through the hole, or slide over a long threaded rod to a nut that a deep socket won't snatch.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
BTW guys, not counting that particular crowfoot up there ($38), but Proto tools are made in the US, and I have found sets of theirs online cheaply. I use these at work, and we do break them, but we do abuse them in the industrial world like nowhere else. I was surprised recently when I found a Proto 10 pc deep well set for like $8. Not as cheap as Chinese stuff, but it's not Chinese stuff.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is what I was referring to. Not the traditional crowfoot which won't fit in there. As you can see from this pic this one is deeper which would give you enough to get down in there. I think I saw these for rent at one of the parts stores near where I live. This picture is misleading because it's a 3/4" drive 1 1/4" socket.

I can't remember what else the tool is used for, or how it was listed in their rent description. I desperately need to pick up an O-ratchet for myself. It's one of those tools that you might not use all the time, but when you need it, you'll be glad you have it. You can't really tell what it is in this picture, but the center of the ratchet is open allowing you to either put something through the hole, or slide over a long threaded rod to a nut that a deep socket won't snatch.

I just got one of those sets at Harbor Freight for $25! I have a lot of their tools and since I only use them once in a while they are a good bargain for me. Anyhow...you'd have to buy the socket for it, but it's better than spending $100 on it. LOOK HERE [ffrocks]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts