Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a diagram of the Strut Assembly?

I am going to be assembling my SVT front struts tonight, I bought the full kit from Ford Racing with all needed parts no need to scavenge from my existing suspension. I'd like to have a visual diagram so I can make sure I'm putting all of the pieces together properly and in the right order... I'm sure when I put everything on/together it will be self-evident, but you know just for reference.

thanks!

email:

gocougs at gmail.com

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I got them assembled no problem, but I can find how to get the strut main nut to 35ftlbs torque, the damn shaft keeps spinning on me.

How have you guys gotten the main strut nut to 35 ft lbs?

Do the strut have to be under the load of the car for the shaft not to spin, I guess that would make sense.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I haven't held an SVT shock assembly in my hands...but usually the end of the shaft (on most shocks) has either two flat sides or a hex in the end of it so that it can be held with a regular or allen wrench (key). Loading it or not shouldl not make any difference. Try not to spin it as this is hard on the shocks seals and could promote leaking.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Geezer said:
Try not to spin it as this is hard on the shocks seals and could promote leaking.
Well shit.

I have spun the living hell out of it. Damn.l

On the Rancho's I have on my Truck it does have the flat taper at the top end for an open end wrench.

The SVT at the top DO have an allen socket, but my problem is, how do I use both the allen AND my torque wrench to get them to 35ftlbs.

I just took a rag and trippled it up, used some vise grips to hold the shaft and then just tightened the nut. I still could not get the full 35 ftlbs though. Oh well.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
You can do it by feel most of the time. Use an open end or box end wrench. If its six inches long you need to apply about 70 pounds of pressure on the end of the wrench. Thats about as tight as you can go with one hand/one arm (muscle power) and not using your body or other arm as leverage. It also about the amount of pressure needed to flatten a lock washer but no more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts