Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing my strut bar, torquing to 15 ft lbs. one of the three top strut bolts on the passenger side snapped off. Any ideas, what do I replace or should I not worry about it for now?

Thanks

·
Banned
12,597 Posts
i would replace it asap. This may be the time when you lower your car. I do not think that you can replace just one of the bolts. I worked on 2 suspensions this weekend and i didn't see a way to replace one of those. We did not use a torque wrench just tightened down good and tight.

You could go to your dealership and explain to them exactly what you were doing and they may replace your strut for you under warrenty. DO NOT LIE to them. Just simply explain that you were torquing it down to the correct amount and it snaped.

Good luck

Kevin

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
You will have to replace the entire strut seat.

And for future reference, this belongs in suspension. Duratec is just for engine topics.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for posting in the wrong place.

I've already lowered the car, dont mind taking it out of the knuckle and replacing it but Ill have to get it aligned again, this sucks.

Does anybody have the part number or the correct name for this. I'll order it today just need the name.

Thanks for all the help

-Carlos

·
Registered
122 Posts
05YolkRoush said:
Installing my strut bar, torquing to 15 ft lbs. one of the three top strut bolts on the passenger side snapped off.
Only 15lbs of torque? wow, I would think they could handle way more then that...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man I honestly crapped my pants when it happened. I was not even pushing that hard on the wrench. I finally drilled the strud out from the top by using an assortment of cobalt and titanium drill bits, then putting a 10mm bolt through were the stud was. Man I think I have the worst freaking luck. Lesson learned, tighten until slightly more than snug fitment, dont torque unless you use inch pounds...

Thanks for everybody's help.

·
Registered
122 Posts
05YolkRoush said:
tighten until slightly more than snug fitment, dont torque unless you use inch pounds...

We have a joke in the auto industry that goes like this. "tighten untill it starts to strip then back it off 1/8 turn". HAHA.

I was gonna suggest doing what you did, that's what I would have done. Great job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts