Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed the Ford racing MX3000 suspension kit on my ZX3 about a year ago and have put 30k miles on it. I love the way the car handles with the Ford racing Argent 17's and Hankook v12 evo tires. The one thing that it did not come with was strut mounts.

I purchased some KYB strut mounts to install with the suspension kit. A year later they are making a loud creaking sound when turning. When parking the car it is very loud and annoying backing into a spot it just creaks like crazy.

Does anyone have a recommendation for another brand I need to get these off the car[rant]?

Thanks,
Paul

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Is the large center bolt tight? Should be & are the 3 strut bolt's tight too, hand tight only snug= don't over tighten them or you will break the studs off. I the sway bar end link's tighten or how is the wear on them?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. All of the mentioned bolts are torqued to spec. Those 3 strut mount bolts get torqued to 18ft/lbs yes practically hand tight. Bearing part of mount is spent. I even replaced the end links just to make sure it wasn't them. Thanks for the reply. Any recommendations for mounts?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
How 'bout OEM!

Yes. All of the mentioned bolts are torqued to spec. Those 3 strut mount bolts get torqued to 18ft/lbs yes practically hand tight. Bearing part of mount is spent. I even replaced the end links just to make sure it wasn't them. Thanks for the reply. Any recommendations for mounts?
What 'bout OEM mount's? Hit up Steve at Toulsey Ford or CFM= Central Florida Motorsport's or BATinc.net

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They were junk. I used some Autozone mounts as I had a $40 credit so I got the pair for $40. Rides nice without the noises. Lifetime warranty too.

·
Registered
505 Posts
My shock bearings have been in my glovebox for some time now...i really need to replace them. They're like 4$ a pop...or did you replace the top plate and all that jazz as well? How hard was this to do?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Strut mount bearing plate!

My shock bearings have been in my glovebox for some time now...i really need to replace them. They're like 4$ a pop...or did you replace the top plate and all that jazz as well? How hard was this to do?
You mean, the strut mount bearing plate? You have to remove the strut off the car & have a spring compresser to compress the spring & remove the strut mount & bearing plate. Then assemble the strut again making sure the spring is seated on the strut & install on car & then have the car aligned to at least set your front toe, it's going to be off, when you pull your strut's off. I didn't think they were that cheap=4.00, I'm not use to putting cheap part's on my car's! I'm after quality part's.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm assuming you are referring to the front struts mounts/bearings.

I had replaced everything struts,boots,bump stops, and bearings so I just replaced the bearings again.

This is a simple job as long as you have control of the spring. If you don't have a spring compressor or press, bring the struts down to a shop they could swap the strut bearings for you cheaply.

·
Registered
505 Posts
You mean, the strut mount bearing plate? You have to remove the strut off the car & have a spring compresser to compress the spring & remove the strut mount & bearing plate. Then assemble the strut again making sure the spring is seated on the strut & install on car & then have the car aligned to at least set your front toe, it's going to be off, when you pull your strut's off. I didn't think they were that cheap=4.00, I'm not use to putting cheap part's on my car's! I'm after quality part's.
My strut bearings are from the dealership in Ford Original Parts bags, no cheap parts here my friend!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts