Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't laugh guys, below is a stupid question

[scratch]

I have stock suspension and was wondering what would a strut bar really do for me?

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
it would add looks under the hood, really. That kind of money would be better invested in a rear sway bar, IMO.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so a sway bar on the front end wouldn't have any positive effect?

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
away bars and strut bars are two different things. Strut bars help the rigidity of the cars body. Sway bars help the overall handling.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so would putting a strut bar on the front of my car, would it help my car out?

i guess i'm kind of confused with the answers i'm getting haha

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Well if your really into take corners yes. However I would do other suspention work first. I would lower your car. Then upgrade your sway bars. Add a rear one if you don't have one. Then do the upper strut tower bars.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Don't waste your money even when you have a nice suspension on it unless you really want the looks.

The front strut bar is as described above, a chassis stiffening part. Under hard cornering and quick manuevers the shock towers tend to flex making the car less responsive. Adding a front strut bar will help negate this and make the car more responsive to turns and keep the chassis rigid through them. The only thing is that they don't do much of any of this on our cars. Look at the location of the shock towers on our cars and then go look at a Mustangs or something. Our shock towers are tucked right up against the firewall and actually welded somewhat to it. Other cars where these bars actually do a lot have their shock towers located more or less halfway in-between the front of the car and the firewall. Since our shock towers are so close to the firewall, actually connected the firewall itself acts as the bar negating 99% of any movement of the shock towers. The bar on our car is not needed.

You might see threads in the past where I have said "oh it helps so much" but in fact it doesn't. I was giddy from my first mod and feeling things that weren't there. I have taken it off for a while before just to see and I felt no difference with it on or off. Its a decoration and the money would be much better spent on a set of springs and dampers. I only keep mine on cause I like how it looks.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
those bars are a waste of money unless ur taking over 1g turns and to do that you need racing compounds and a 1k suspension setup. well, maybe not 1k, but def. a good suspension setup. on a stock setup its a complete waste!!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i really appreciate the help FF

i almost was going to buy one of those bad boys...haha, not anymore

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
with the stock suspension, a larger rear swaybar will help. BUT id combine that with a lower, stiffer spring and shock set-up as well

·
Registered
411 Posts
with the stock suspension, a larger rear swaybar will help. BUT id combine that with a lower, stiffer spring and shock set-up as well
I'm worried to put an aftermarket suspension on my car. With time I heard it can be harmful to the mechanic of the handling.

Here the rough roads could affect the car a lot with time. I want to keep my svt in top shape.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
I'm worried to put an aftermarket suspension on my car. With time I heard it can be harmful to the mechanic of the handling.

Here the rough roads could affect the car a lot with time. I want to keep my svt in top shape.
depending on how many km are on your car the stock suspension could be worn by now. if thats the case a fresh svt suspension set-up could help a lot, and then add in a larger rear bar and the car will roll a lot less when turning

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Well get the other suspention stuff first. Although some thing the strut tower bar isn't needed I disagree. I had lowered my car then stuck the front and rear strut tower bars on. Once I hit the track I noticed a difference. Now you will see a bigger difference by upgrading sway bars, however the strut tower bars do help. Focus Sport has a lower strut tower bar now. I haven't heard of to many people using those yet. I'm thinking of trying it out to see if it does help or not. I'm currently running a 22mm antisway in the front and a 25mm in the rear. I have both upper strut bars. I'm lowered using the saleen racecraft suspention (eibach pro kit). I've upgraded the cars suspention one thing at a time to see the difference in the handling. I even added the SVT rear subframe so I could mount a rear antisway bar without using the add on brackets that a few companies make. Next big suspention upgrade will be a full coilover suspention so my car will really stiffen up in the turns.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,790 Posts
I got a front strut bar mostly for looks. I noticed a little bit of difference but not much. Looks nice under the hood though.

·
Registered
411 Posts
depending on how many km are on your car the stock suspension could be worn by now. if thats the case a fresh svt suspension set-up could help a lot, and then add in a larger rear bar and the car will roll a lot less when turning
my car has 62 000 miles on it... i dont know if i need a fresh suspension

1 - 20 of 26 Posts