Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know the big difference between the two....They are both Monroe sensa-shock 181504/5 Econo-matic 171504/5 quick strut the price difference is $40. Both have life time warr. The only thing I noticed is the length, travel length,compressed length is a little bit different. Are the components better made on the pricier one?

Thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
In my opinion you won't be happy with the Econo Monroe strut assembly. They are what I refer to as a "used" car sales department part; better than worn out but not up to OEM equipment in any sort of a way. I have the Sensa on my own DD 04 (struts only, not springs) and they are a good match to the OEM replacement Motorcraft part. In fact, I think that they are better than the OEM Motorcraft and close to the SVT strut at a lower price point. MY zx3 will match a stock SVT for ride and handling in my personal opinion. Always remember, " the quality is long remembered after the price is forgotten."

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dug a little deeper. And your 100% correct. When I buy parts I never go the cheapest nor the most expensive. Its always in between. And these struts were questionable this is why I asked.. But after digging in deeper the econo. doesn't have Sensa. nor a life time warr. My rears have Sensa. so its best to stay the same out front.
Rock auto is $60 cheaper per strut than my local napa. But when one leaks I can return right away and get another quickly at napa. I did have one rear leak last year. With an easy swap with the lifetime. Dealing with rock auto will take weeks for the exchange plus sending them back. So save $120 and in hope nothing happens or pay the price for the quick exchange if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
27 Posts
the econo series are cheap. a lot of companies with fleet cars will buy them because they're inexpensive, i used to sell them a lot when i worked at the auto parts store. i would spend a little bit extra and go with the sensa tracks if that is the way you want to go. i would also go with a quik-strut since its all together and you just unbolt the old one and bolt the new one in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts