Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2000 Ford Focus ZTS, 5 spd Manual Trans.

Strong engine stutter (car bucks a bit) during acceleration or strain on engine such as going up slight inclines. Speedometer needle jumps when engine stutters. Engine does not stutter when car is in neutral and given gas.

9/7/06 EDIT ----> (radio volume surges in time with engine stutter) This was due to the automatic volume controll increasing volume when seedometer was spiking. now that I have shut off the AVC the radio volume is stable.

New info: I have now noticed that I can hear what I believe is ignition system sending out spark to cyclinders when the radio is on. A faint rapid click that gets louder when the gas is depressed.

Codes

1. Cylinder #4 misfire
2. MAF sensor

Check Engine light is not on but may be burnt out.

9/7/06 Engine light flashed for about a minute or so then went of and came back on solid.

Action taken

Oil Change
MAF sensor Replaced
Ignition wires replaced

Planned Action

1. PCV Valve and tube replacement
2. Fuel Pump Recall replacement

Does anyone have any other ideas or experiences that may help me? Thanks.

·
Registered
557 Posts
i d start with the fuel pump replacement. its free from ford.

·
Registered
672 Posts
There might be a connection between the stutter and radio volume, Maybe battery voltage is poor, and any accessory may drain necessary voltage.. Run engine at idle and press brake (any change in engine speed) put lights on (any change?) Clean and reconnect battery terminals

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Edit

I have edited the original message to make it more complete. I have also added new info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, did you find out what was the problem? I'm having the same problem with my car, the only difference is that nothing happens with the radio.

Thank you very much

·
Registered
23 Posts
same problem, just disconnected my amp to lessen battery load, no difference in car tho. dont think thats the problem.

many of these threads popping up lately

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ever get it figured out? I'm having a very similar problem to yours, in fact I 'd say its likely the exact same problem. 2000 LX 2.0 SOHC SPI 5 speed stick. I did new plugs and plug wires over the weekend, still a problem. Mine had a misfire in the #2 cylinder, but no MAF sensor called out. Check also for a vacuum leak. Mine was real bad at first because the EGR pipe burned through. Changed that and it helped but didn't solve all the problems.

·
Registered
602 Posts
If the speedo jumps, then the problem normally comes from the VSS, (unless all the gauges jump), when the computer looses info on speed is does not know what to do..........

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
how com no ever thinks of checking the coil pack trigger wires? if one if those is messed up it causes all kinds of fun.

·
Registered
113 Posts
when i had these problems... when my coil pack went, it stopped running cyl #1. when my wires went, it spontaneously stopped running a few cylinders. when i had a loose ground coming off my starter, thats what made my speedo jump.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Um, there is no ground wire on the starter. There is the main power and power for the solenoid. It grounds through the engine/trans - engine ground to battery.

·
Registered
117 Posts
mine had a problem like this, i took it to a friend n he said it was the spark plug wires, replaced em, fixed the problem. one r more of the wires went bad. try that, its cheap, too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine turned out to be the coil. My guess is the #2 terminal shorted or otherwise went bad. Fried the #2 spark plug wire and burned the plug itself too. Runs beautifully now with the new coil on. Just wish I'd have had more money when I did it. Would have gone Screamin Demon coil and Livewires. But that was double the cost of the new coil alone and I just got new wires...

·
Registered
1 Posts
im also having these problems. volume goes loud and the speedometer needle jumps up and down.when accelerating the car stutters as if its not getting fuel, esp going up through 1,2 and 3rd gear. i had a friend take a look and it was mis-firing on one of the cylinders. we replaced the plugs and changed the air and oil filters. this seemed to have worked but the problem has arrisen again. we thought last time that it could possible be the coil packs. any thoughts?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts