Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP the other day I drove somewhere, on the way home I noticed a really strong chemical smell coming from the vents when I slow down/idle, well I had it looked at and they said my floorboards in my driver side and passenger side front & back is damp, he told me my heater coil is bad but what I don’t understand is my coolant level hasn’t dropped at all, also I can smell it from outside the car, I smell it more with ac on but I can also smell it with it off and when I get out the car after driving it a while i can smell it from under hood, what could this issue be, I have no check engine lights on it’s an 05 Ford Focus ZX5

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,350 Posts
If it smells like cow manure it is the evaporator core. A $1000 + repair.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
You can bypass the heater core if you would like to save money.

All the shop has to do is connect one hose to the other basically creating a bypass.

Obviously not great for winter but it's hot as hell right now.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can’t afford the fix I may have to sell the car because the fix is a quarter of
You can bypass the heater core if you would like to save money.

All the shop has to do is connect one hose to the other basically creating a bypass.

Obviously not great for winter but it's hot as hell right now.

yeah ima bypass it because I can’t even find a mechanic willing to do the work, maybe by winter I’ll find someone to do it

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,350 Posts
I can’t afford the fix I may have to sell the car because the fix is a quarter of

yeah ima bypass it because I can’t even find a mechanic willing to do the work, maybe by winter I’ll find someone to do it
I'm curious as to what you were quoted. It is not a difficult job. The dashboard does not have to be removed. I can change one in an hour and a half.

·
Registered
16,191 Posts
I've worked out a way to do the same on the early ones that the dash 'has to' pull on. Will be using it if and when I have the problem. All it requires is cobbling up a bit of bracketry that takes mere minutes to make. There are two cuts made in the lower plastic too that are pretty much invisible once put back together. Other than the bracket making I give the work one hour to do. Once done a core can be changed even faster.

Of course, don't expect a shop to do that, they want the big payment for basically rebuilding the car for nothing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm curious as to what you were quoted. It is not a difficult job. The dashboard does not have to be removed. I can change one in an hour and a half.
Cheapest I found was 325 most expensive 600 I was told by everyone dash has to come out

·
Registered
16,191 Posts
Well, of course they do. It's why you have to have a new transmission when a $5 fix will make it last for 20 more years and why anything that ever goes wrong now always involves the most expensive fix that particular problem can have.

NOBODY fixes things that can easily be fixed to last for years and super cheap, it's not how you make money according to the new wave Trump school, it's for 'suckers'.

The shops are not stupid, they have sized up the new millennials to know they can rip them off to no end, they don't like to think their way out of issues, better to throw big wads of cash at them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish we were close so you can do it lol, no one near me knows how to do it without taking dash off

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
$325 is actually a very fair price.

When I worked at a shop we simply went by book time most reputable shops use book time. We look in the book see how many hours of labor multiply that by the labor rate that's the price plus parts.

So yeah $325 for a complete job I would be very happy.

·
Registered
16,191 Posts
$325 is not bad at all unless they butcher the job to break parts trying to make scale there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts