Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a ZX3, been driving it only a few weeks, and it has a super strong gas smell inside the car. Doesn't matter if the tank is full, or empty, just as strong. Less noticable when the windows are up, more so when the windows are down. I can start it up sitting still and immediatly smell gas. Drive down the highway at 60 with the windows down and smell gas. Put the windows up, turn on the vent, and almost no gas smell at all. Turning on the vent does not make it smell worse, also with the car running I can't smell any gas from under the hood. I checked all the lines for any sign of gas leaking and nothing. The engine code is on, emissions evaporator leak, tech said most times that means gas cap is leaking. All the vacuume lines appear to be in good shape, nothing cracked/broken/missing. I've ran the tank almost empty and taking the cap off doesn't release any pressure like on other cars I've had. I'm at a loss as to what it could be. I've got kids and the smell is strong enough I really hate to have them ride with me.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
The engine code is on, emissions evaporator leak, tech said most times that means gas cap is leaking.
And the code is? It doesn't always mean the gas cap isn't sealing properly. The EVAP system consists of several components: EVAP canister, canister purge valve, purge solenoid, lines, wiring, etc.

Some EVAP codes: P0442, P0443, P0455, P0456, P0457, P1443, P1450, P1451....

Code particulars available here

The exact code would narrow down the search area.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The tech was right, that alot of times it is the gas cap for those faults. However the cap being not on completely ia not going to give you such a bad gas smell. Best way has been said. Have it tested. They will hook up a smoke machine to your evap lines and smoke your lines to detect any leaks. The smallest leak in any of the lines can cause this.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
And any fuel leak under the hood will possibly let fumes into the car, since the fresh air intake isn't that well sealed from the underhood area....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts