Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it was asked a few years ago... But I don't want to revive a dead thread.

Does anyone have any experience with the current 2.3L turbo that Ford is dropping in many of its vehicles lately? I'm interested in a Frankenstein N/A motor... I'm sure others are interested as well. Please help, I'm losing sleep [rant]

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Huh?

I think the stock Ford turbo sucks , If I was going to go through the trouble to put a turbo on my MK3 it would be a stock Ford Turbo

Tom
[scratch]

Did you leave out a "not" between "would" and "be" ???

I also think timeatkuu meant he wanted NO turbo, just a N/A engine using parts from a 2.3 turbo.

... I'm interested in a Frankenstein N/A motor...

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
There isnt a lot out there for NA build right now and nothing for the DCT that I have seen so far

I think all the R&D will go to the RS and ST

Tom

·
Registered
285 Posts
There isnt a lot out there for NA build right now and nothing for the DCT that I have seen so far

I think all the R&D will go to the RS and ST

Tom
The only items I've seen mentioned are I/H/E and some tunes (obviously I know you know about those). I even doubt other than totally custom, a cam/crank/piston change.

You might be able to knife-edge the stock crank and gain a little with the lightened rotating mass.....worth it? Not for me.

Another member on here (Elizabeth), said that her MTX75 gave up the ghost at around 200HP (Contour SVT), so if at all possible the 6 speed would have to be considered a swap possibility for the DCT.

I have read about some a torsen upgrade (for the MTX75), but I haven't researched it much more that a quick glance.

EDIT: Supertech does have pistons available. Massivespeed has Cranks available.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Are those pistons for the mk3 duratec? I didn't think any were available yet. Crank probably won't be an issue until really big HP numbers. And the mtx75 has seen way more than 200hp on many many builds.

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
Another member on here (Elizabeth), said that her MTX75 gave up the ghost at around 200HP (Contour SVT), so if at all possible the 6 speed would have to be considered a swap possibility for the DCT.

I have read about some a torsen upgrade (for the MTX75), but I haven't researched it much more that a quick glance.
If she killed her mtx75 at 200 TQ even at the Fly wheel ( only way to get to 200 at flywheel or wheel is with boost ) then there was something wrong with it, I have built dozens of MTX75 with my turbo kit well over 300 TQ to the wheels , thats about 340-350 Flywheel and thats with an with out LSD so dont go by her problem to judge the MTX75 because its a very strong trans

Tom

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
If she killed her mtx75 at 200 TQ even at the Fly wheel ( only way to get to 200 at flywheel or wheel is with boost ) then there was something wrong with it ...

Tom
There is another way -- with a 24v V6. As Metalcrack noted, it was in a Contour SVT, not a Focus. (Would that engine fit easily into a Mk3 Focus? [deviltail])

Also, the weak link for hers was the differential, not the transmission, but the case had been broken prior to that. Dunno if that is a common weakness or she just got a bad one? You probably have more experience with it than anyone else here.

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
There is another way -- with a 24v V6. As Metalcrack noted, it was in a Contour SVT, not a Focus. (Would that engine fit easily into a Mk3 Focus? [deviltail])

Also, the weak link for hers was the differential, not the transmission, but the case had been broken prior to that. Dunno if that is a common weakness or she just got a bad one? You probably have more experience with it than anyone else here.
The MTX75 in the contour is exactly the same MX75 as the Focus , we use to take the 4.06 gear out of them and put them in the early Focus MTX75

I turbocharged some Contour Zetec when I first got started turbocharging the Focus in 2000 and had no issues with the MTX75 in any way , hers must of had other issues or just got a crappy MTX75 it happens

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts