Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it really required to strip off the old wax into order to apply a new one? I've had my car for a little over a year now (Sept 10 2006) and I've been detailing it since I've got it. I remember applying the wax (Meguiars brand) all over the car and over the months I've been applying different waxes on it without any problems or trouble. So wassup?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I know they warn to not wash your car with dish soap as it will strip your wax. I don't see any reason the strip it unless you are waxing too often and are noticing a build up

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you know if there's too much wax on the car anyways? I mean, I wax mines (spray wax) like every week, and use the hand wax every 2 weeks or sooner and haven't seen any trouble with the paint, unless I am missing something.

·
Registered
279 Posts
What kind of wax do you use? If you are using a synthetic wax (basicly a paint sealer) you wont have problems with build up. All build up causes is a dull look, really. I don't recommend using dish soap even to strip wax, as it is a pretty strong detergent. If you have bad buildup, it's probably time to clay bar your car anyways, and that will remove the wax.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I don't use synthetic waxes since I can't find those anywhere in my local auto parts stores, unless I'm overlooking them or they're just labeled differently. Over the months I've been using Eagle One waxes like the Nanowax, I used a bit of some Teflon wax from Du Pont, and I've used some of Meguiars waxes as well as the car polish. Recently, I've added ProShine Wash and Wax onto my car. My car is dark metallic red and I can't really tell if the paint is dull or not since the shine is pretty deep, although I do see some slight marks and spots on the roof which probably means I'll have to clay bar it soon. I'm not very sure what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
With a spray wax you do not have any chance of overwaxing. Spray wax is just a mantiance wax. You should put down a good paste or liquid wax and then a spray wax will help mantain the other wax.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Assuming you bought your car used, I would have clay barred it and started fresh from the get go, but no worries, it's good now than never. If you wash then clay bar the car, and afterwards give it a coat or two of a nice paste wax, you won't be disappointed and I bet you'll never have to worry about running around from mfr to mfr looking for a 'better' shine. I use Meguiars basically all around, their clay bar system, their 'cleaner wax' two step wax, and then the gold class liquid or nxt paste somewhat regularly. And in between washes I sometimes use Turtle Wax's ICE polish to give it a nice touch. If you maintain the finish, it's much easier to reapply waxes in the future, I use Turtle Wax ICE Detailer to keep it clean and find it works best of all the detailers i've ever used, including Meguiar's detailer(s)... whatever you do, moderation is a good rule of thumb, especially with clay baring. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, I detail my car like every single time I go out. I mean, I clean it after I get home using spray detailers and microfiber cloths. But yeah, I've been using spray waxes on my car every other day and like every other week or two I put on the liquid wax. I've used Meguiars products a couple of times before, but money got tight for me so I went cheap and used Eagle One's products instead. I just wanted to know if it's necessary to strip off the old wax.

BTW, I did buy my car used (2004 Focus ZX3 PZEV) which was last September of last year, but it only had 4,600 miles when I got it and the paint felt pretty smooth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts