Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of stripping my stock wheels. Any ideas on what type of polisher or whatever to get a good shine. I can do it with sandpaper and steel wool, but it'll take forever to finish. I can get the spokes to shine with alot of elbow grease. Inside spokes is a rough cast so I'll just spray some silver paint there. These are not done yet. I'm not looking to invest alot of money in these, they'll just be winter wheels. Anything I can put on a power drill is what I'm looking for. Already had them painted, I want something different.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
What about a mothers ball and some polishing compound, followed by some wax?

BTW, are those S2 wheels?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably something with a little abrasiveness to it. The finish is still a little rough from sanding and I don't want to sand from low grit to high. Kinda like the wheel that's used on a table grinder to finish metals. The wheels are stock 16" from my '01 ZX3.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
those are the same ones that came on my stock S2

·
Capital Obvious
2,562 Posts
I did some of these wheels and wrote a how-to on it. I did it with sand paper and polish.

The whole process was done by hand. It takes between 5-6 hours per wheel.

Supplies needed:
Sand paper - 80, 120, 220, 400, 600 grit (400 and 600 are to be waterproof paper).
Rags
Spray Bottle
Aluminum polish

Started off like so:
*Sand with 80 grit (dry sanding) to remove the clear coat and machined grooves.
*Switch to 120 grit (dry sanding) to get rid of the 80 grit scratches once the grooves and clear are all gone.
*Then switch to 220 (dry sanding) to smooth out the 120 scratches.
*Now you can use 400 grit waterproof paper (wet sand. You can use a spray bottle to wet the paper and surface).
*And for the final sanding I used 600 grit (wet sanding) to get the final finish before polishing.
*I then took aluminum polish and went to work on polishing.

If I could have found some 800 grit paper I would have used that before polishing, but with the 600 it turned out pretty good.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^^ Pretty much what I did with the first two wheels. A little bit each day after work.

·
Capital Obvious
2,562 Posts
added pics

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, thats what I'm looking for in the end. Your pic looks like my work area. A pile of sandpaper and some Mother's Polish. lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts