Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so here's the deal. I get and install my SVT suspension kit. Off comes the Massive strut tower brace because the fitment is WRONG, MASSIVE, and it makes it an extra pain in the butt to get the strut studs lined up in the towers.

My dad decides to "help." I'm finishing everything up under the wheel wells and he's looking for something to do so I ask him to torque the strut tower bolts. (He used to be a pretty badass mechanic but it's been years.) He completely strips one. I can't tell yet if it's the stud or the nut, but I can't get it off to reinstall my ill-fitting strut tower brace. It just turns (with a little resistance but no movement) freely on the stud.

If the stud is stripped, I'm not worried too much; between the strut tower brace's flange and maybe a washer or two, I can seat the new nut's threads on the still-functional threads of the stud. It's just getting the nut off in the first place that's giving me a headache.

I've already beat it up and ground on it a bit to try to get it off, but to no avail. Any mechanics have handy tricks for this?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Probably gonna have to cut it off. Then your gonna have to take the strut out again and replace the top mount/bearing assy. Probably gonna be your best bet.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
If it's one of the three on the top, I had the same problem. I used pliers to hold the shaft and then wrenched the nut loose. When it got near the top, I jammed a flat screwdriver underneath to keep pressure on the nut.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably gonna have to cut it off. Then your gonna have to take the strut out again and replace the top mount/bearing assy. Probably gonna be your best bet.
Are you talking about cutting the whole stud off, or just the nut? As of now, the strut tower brace is not on there. If I can get the nut off, once the strut tower brace is back on, the new nut will sit higher up on the stud, above the stripped threads.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's one of the three on the top, I had the same problem. I used pliers to hold the shaft and then wrenched the nut loose. When it got near the top, I jammed a flat screwdriver underneath to keep pressure on the nut.
The shaft itself isn't turning. The nut is just spinning freely on the shaft at the bottom of it's travel.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Well you can't loose by cutting off the nut. Give it a try. It shouldn't be too hard to find another nut at a hardware store if it indeed stripped the nut.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've made a bit of progress cutting the nut so far with a rotary tool. But I'm having a hard time getting down against it without chopping the top of the tower or the threads of the stud.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
so did u get it off? i am curious tho...why did u want to tq the nuts b4 putting the strut tower brace back on? just to see if there was a diff without it on there, and then on?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
^^^When doing a suspension swap there must be load on the suspension while you torque everything down below. It just helps to have the top retaining nuts torqued down as well while you do this. Just helps keep things from moving around.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No progress today, it's @#$%ing cold outside. I got a new nut from a hardware store and assured the fit. I'm thinking about renting a spring compressor and swapping the top plate from my old shock in, since the studs on it are all okay.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
^^^When doing a suspension swap there must be load on the suspension while you torque everything down below. It just helps to have the top retaining nuts torqued down as well while you do this. Just helps keep things from moving around.
oh, i thought he was just finishing up, and was at the last stage, buttoning it all up, having his dad do a final tq.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts