Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Was that our exit?!?
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK....so we all know the subframes rust up and cause issues if doing control arms, sway bars, and links. Well today I was a victim of what I thought was just some grit or left over corrosion on the tack welded nut to the sway bar bracket welded to the subframe. You know, just a small torque to get through and be on your merry way. NOPE!

Just a small couple cranks, not even that hard or much resistance for me to think twice, and it was enough to strip the thread. I have no tools to correct this tonight and have a sales meeting 3 hours away tomorrow that I need to leave for in the morning. So what do I do....put the bolt back in, wrench, and cry.

That nut is blocked by the subframe wrapping back up toward the the chassis. What do I do here? I mean, here are what I think my options are...

1. Find a salvage SVTF Subframe.....with this I might as well order all new control arms, links, and hope Ford didnt DISC them.

2. Try and see if some way in God's name, some shop can find a way to either replace that tack weld nut with a new one. (GOOD LUCK WITH THAT. No Clearance.

3. Or go to machine shop or someone with skills with torch and weld and try and locate a wrecked SVTF for a new bracket and have it welded to my existing subframe.

4. Total hack job....just drill through tack welded nut on the bracket and then through the subframe and get a 10.9 Bolt, Nut, and Washer. Like a long alternator bolt.

Somehow I think I screwed myself. Because that bracket needs to get replaced with a new bracket for my aftermarket sway bar. Its OE until my parts came in to Steeda. Aftermarket bushing is not meant for the OE Bracket.

So...when I do sh!t like this...zipties and duck tape can't fix it, I turn to yall! :)

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
What about an insert?
Putting a new coil/thread into the nut?
They do that for all sorts of impossible to fix items.
The main one are for spark plugs where the thread is stripped out of the head.
I may not be calling it the right thing. but it is the same thing as for the spark plug thread replacement.

·
Was that our exit?!?
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about an insert?
Putting a new coil/thread into the nut?
They do that for all sorts of impossible to fix items.
The main one are for spark plugs where the thread is stripped out of the head.
I may not be calling it the right thing. but it is the same thing as for the spark plug thread replacement.
yea..that seems easy to me...and nothing ever comes that easy to me :(

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Can't tell from your description for SURE, BUT - if the nut is still in place and a helicoil to repair it isn't readily available, the EASIEST fix (which CAN be replaces by a helicoil in the future) is to tap it out to the next larger size for a bigger bolt...

Simple fix if you have access to a tap....

Luck!

·
Was that our exit?!?
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill have a local shop do it. Needs to be on a lift. And there isnt much access on that passanger side compared to the drivers side. Ill let ya know what happens. Nothing happens till I get the new brackets and bushings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts