Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To clarify, the threads are fine because the 8mm hex socket gave way to a perfect circle. According to Autonation Ford White Bear Lake the drain plug for the SVT is long discontinued and "no warehouse in the country seems to have it." With this in mind, who is willing to measure theirs during their next trans fluid change? Hopefully someone might have that info squirreled away, but I doubt it since I couldn't find anything on the forum.

Was able to find this product with M18x1.5mm thread: http://new.minimania.com/part/NMD1057-P/Mini-Cooper-Magnetic-Transmission-Drain-Plug-Gen1-Gen2-R50-r61

Since the Mini Cooper S and Focus SVT share a transmission, should I assume that the plugs are the same thread/interchangeable? (BTW I don't plan on spending $40 for a drain plug, I'm looking for OEM) I'm planning to go down to a local Mini dealer to see if they'd have it. Regular plugs aren’t that expensive if I end up buying a couple different sizes, but if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Also, are the drain and fill plugs the same thread? I’m paranoid about draining my transmission until I know for sure I can fill it again.

*EDIT*

The drain is indeed M18x1.5x12mm but the fill plug is M16x1.5x12mm

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Update: Found this youtube video: youtu.be/xJENJNz_JLQ which gave me the BMW part number for the transmission. Then I found this site (link) which gave me a labeled diagram of the trans, including the full specs on the plug thread: M18x1.5x12. Searching around, it turns out BMW uses those plugs quite a bit on their engines and transmissions. I suspect it's a European or metric standard plug. I have a suitable one on the way from another vendor.

This was all done from the comfort of my desk so I will have to confirm the fit when my parts arrive. Just wanted to give an update and share the information I found.

Queue the music!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I finally got around to draining and filling my Getrag. Firstly, if you're in Chicago and need a place to wrench check out Gearhead Workspace near IIT/Sox Field. They have lifts!

This is me role-playing as the Exxon Valdez...

Finally I got the two plugs out and realized they are different sizes. The smaller one is the fill plug, M16x1.5x12mm, and the larger one is the drain plug, M18x1.5x12mm.

Here you can see my two choices when it comes to replacements. The OEM style or a beefier aftermarket one. This whole investigation was caused by the allen head stripping on the stock plug, so I went with the beefy one...

Here you can see what I mean. The new plugs take a 3/4" wrench and are much more substantial than the old ones. Note: you'll need something like a crows foot wrench to torque the drain plug with these replacements, or maybe a u-joint if you dare.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
There are plenty of options out there as those two threads seem to be industry standards. The ones I used were these:

M18x1.5 M16x1.5

The point of my follow up post (other than sharing sweet pics, lol) was to put the thread specs out there so others can get replacements since the Ford part number is now useless. You can get magnetic plugs, copper or aluminum washers, whatever you could want! As long as it fits...

·
Thats What She Said
10,662 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wonder how something like this will work also as a replacement on the drain. Magnate may be nice to have since there is NO filter. Thoughts?

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/drain-plugs/dim-m18x1-5x12-dimple-magnetic-transmission-plug-m18x1-5x12

or

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/oil-drain-plugs/dim-m18x1-5x21-dimple-magnetic-transmission-plug-m18x1-5x21

How many threads are needed?
Curious too, but I believe you can use either one but the "short-one" will need a plastic washer/seal though based on the retailer's pics... It looks like the retailer is including a crush ring or I could be wrong.

'Cause when I did the drain/fill, I attempted to stick my pinky in the opening to feel for any material so that way I know if I will have a future problem... There's enough room to allow for the plug to go further in the sump area.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The short magnetic plug would be the one to use since it's the same length as the stock plug (12mm). For what it's worth, the plugs I took out didn't have any extra washers or seals. I imagine the difference in hardness between the aluminum case and steel plug is enough given the proper torque. I used 33 ft-lbs, though I forgot where I found that number. [???:)]

And hey, Tom! You wouldn't happen to know if synchros from the Mini Getrags will fit in the Focus ones, would you? I don't know too much about transmissions, but I hope some parts interchange with Mini would give us SVT folks some rebuild opportunities.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts