Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya I changed my shitty brakes today and the last side I loosed the bolts and everything came off nice, put pads on and i tightened all the bolts but it still was lose . The bolt just kinda slides through the knuckle hole. Now both bolts are [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] and I know it can't be good to drive like this but this car is my only car and I have to go to work tomorrow . I saw a kit at autozkne that is 15 bucks, it's not one of those hel things but it self tapers and such. Will I be fine to drive this car like this. I drove it around and punched the brakes but I know it's still loose. I can't win. Pretty upset about it. It's a 2000 focus se manual. Any help and advice please will help

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to Brakes, Suspension & Chassis where you can find the prev. threads on fixing this problem.

Gotta get them held in place better than the loose slider bolts do, they won't work well at best & could jam up suddenly at the worst.

The oversize self tapping pins are a good solution, have to be careful when removing & replacing those in the future so the new threads don't get damaged. Good thing is that you could helicoil then if needed or replace the knuckles to start over.

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
You'll be totally amazed at how much damage can occur driving a car like that if the caliper comes completely loose. It can wrap up in wheel/knuckle to tear the spokes out, I've seen it. And of course the brakes will have failed doing it.

My advice would be to walk to work until you got that fixed, driving it and wreck out to hit someone else and how you ruin your next several years when you get sued into total indigence. 'This car is my only car' will be pretty much laughed at in court..........brakes are absolutely the wrong thing to be running risk on there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your funny. Walk fifteen miles to work. You kill me. The bolts are on there but it's loose feeling, I obvio know its not good but I have to go to work man. I'm getting the replacement oversized bolts after work and I'm hoping it's the solution. Thanks for the pep talk, I asked for help not you being my dad.

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
Quick question, what's more important, your job or your life? Uh, wrong answer...........

Luck, all we have left to give you when you fail to recognize reality or good sense. Your decision making if left like that has many more things in store for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car was fixed from the start of the problem. Had to risk it one day. The bus wouldn't have took me to work from south Euclid to independence in the time frame I neefed, or else I would've taken the bus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts