Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
front or rear, anybody got reviews or opinions on these kinds of parts? Worth the money? trying to achieve ninja handling[ninja]!

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Rear stress bar is worth it. Front isn't.

Front and rear sway bars are worth it but only as icing on the cake after springs, dampers, and good tires.

·
Registered
728 Posts
^ what he said. Hit the search and read up the discussions on it. I only want a front one cause for some odd reason i can see my projectors flex inwards every time my front suspension hits a bump.

However, sway bars are worth it front and back

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
front or rear, anybody got reviews or opinions on these kinds of parts? Worth the money? trying to achieve ninja handling[ninja]!
Looks like you've got an SVT which is a great handling car as delivered from the factory. But being an 04 it could probably use some freshening if nothing has been done since new. The number one improvement for great handling is good tires followed by a fresh set of shocks/struts. A full set of SVT O.E.M. replacement shocks is only about 170.00 which is a screaming deal for a very good shock/strut. The front strut bar can help tighten up a high mileage car as a chassis does begin to flex more with age and use. You already have a larger rear sway bar than most foci. Progress makes a nice 22mm bar which works nicely on an SVT. Do the tires and shocks first as you might be pleasantly surprised with just those improvements. If you have deep pockets, a set of light weight wheels doesn't hurt either (reduces rotating mass and unsprung weight).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been lucky enough to acquire a car that only has 37k miles on it. Its in great shape and the suspension feels real tight. I think ninja handling was a bad way to describe what I want (just wanted to use smiley). I really just want to tweak the suspension slightly to reduce things like body roll and reduce understeer. That's why I asked about sway bars. Would buying a thicker rear sway bar before these other mods do a disservice to me and my car? also would a set of lowering springs like H&R or the others on C-f-m be any stiffer than my stock ones. I don't want to give up my stiffness just for the look.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
I have a 25mm eibach rear sway bar. Next best suspension mod besides my coil-overs.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Body roll can be reduced by either stiffer springs and/or front and rear sway bars. Understeer can be reduced by modifying spring rates or increasing the rear bar size. The goal is usually a neutral handling car. Too big of a rear sway and it can get tail happy when you don't expect it (bad weather or poor road conditions). Unless you're going to track or autocross the car I recommend moderation for a daily driver. Sway bars will not impact the look of the car unless you use the incorrect end links and the bar ends look like they're "hanging" under the car.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You won't really feel the benefit or detriment unless you're doing some serious driving. That being said, adding or increasing the size of your anti-roll bar should only be an option to pursue after you've gotten shocks and springs. You would more greatly benefit from improving the shocks and springs.

Here is a link to where you can get prices for any of those parts from TR:
Suspension Upgrade

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That being said, adding or increasing the size of your anti-roll bar should only be an option to pursue after you've gotten shocks and springs. You would more greatly benefit from improving the shocks and springs.
why is this? To be honest I don't really want a much stiffer ride because i live in a town with alot of railroad crossings and rough pavement. Im so interested in anti roll bars because they do decrease body roll and help cornering, but wont affect the ride going over a road wide obstacle. If i just go with a thicker sway bar in the rear am I making a big mistake?

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
why is this? To be honest I don't really want a much stiffer ride because i live in a town with alot of railroad crossings and rough pavement. Im so interested in anti roll bars because they do decrease body roll and help cornering, but wont affect the ride going over a road wide obstacle. If i just go with a thicker sway bar in the rear am I making a big mistake?
Alright I don't know much of the mechanics for this topic but I did what you are talking about and felt the difference

My car had the stock suspension and no rear swaybar and I installed a 22mm front and 25mm in the back.
The result was tighter handling but it was a bit rough

After a while I finally got around to ordering the FRPP springs and dampers and they got installed. Yes the ride is a bit stiffer now BUT I believe it is actually smoother than when I had my stock suspension @ 47k miles with the swaybars and for a total price of $301 shipped to my house I couldn't lose.

Hope this helps your decision making. If you do plan on getting them anyways, you could get it and try it to see. Everyone has a different opinion on what smooth or rough is.
Also with the bars and stock suspension I did feel a handling difference but there was still some serious body roll when I autox'd
It feels MUCH better now, but have not gone autocrossing yet with the new set up. Here's a pic of said body roll with stock suspension and 22mm & 25mm swaybars and what it looks like when level

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have the Eibachs on the front and rear of my SVT, and they made a world of difference. Stiffened it up just right, and I never track it. Its strictly a daily driver.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I found front and rear stress bars made a big difference with stock springs on my 2007 sedan. Have upper and lower front bars and each one made a difference. Now have SVT springs and shocks and its great. Do have to watch for sharper bumps on bad roads though.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
It should also be mentioned that, all the hard parts in the world won't compensate for lousy tires. I stuck some eagle gt's on and was amazed what the diff was from the OEM pirrelli's (which are an all season, so no shame there).

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
^^ I 2nd that. I had Eibach's 25mm rear bar & upgraded to Steeda's 28.6mm bar= make's the car rotate easier, & tranfer's a little more weight to the inside front tire too. You would need to upgrade the front bar for sure. I use Eibach's 22mm one. If I was to do it again, I'd use H&R's 24mm front bar + it is adjustable too. If you want to keep the right height the same, ok, then I'd upgrade the strut's/shock's for sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts