Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time for a tune is rapidly approaching, and I've been talking to a number of local SCT shops. The two that are standing out to me: 1 is offering a "street tune" with the flasher and 3 programs for $450. The other is offering a dyno-tune with the flasher (not sure how many programs) for $525. I'm not racing this ride or anything, just looking to get some better pep and MPG, which would be fore benificial? So far the only mod. is a FS CAI, but exhaust is soon to come and possibly a larger throttle body. Opinion? Thanks.

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
Their "street tune" is probably some shot-in-the-dark programs but the dyno tune is probably you best bet since they will actually be looking for actual gains as opposed to just guessing at some settings and handing it over to you.

Go with the dyno.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the price reasonable?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Goat Roper said:
Their "street tune" is probably some shot-in-the-dark programs but the dyno tune is probably you best bet since they will actually be looking for actual gains as opposed to just guessing at some settings and handing it over to you.

Go with the dyno.
Agree 100%.

Price seems reasonable too considering dyno-time + the flasher itself.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
It also depends on what you've done to the motor mod wise. If it is realatively stock the a "cookie cutter" tune should be OK.

BUT for optimal performance the DYNO is the only way to go. and yes that it a pretty good price since it includes the flasher. I paid $450 per dyno tune through Tom and that was having my own flasher... but that was 8 hours on the dyno for a turbo tune from scratch.

·
FF Affiliate
31,101 Posts
People need to understand that a WOT tune on the dyno and a daily driveability tune are day and night and in my opinion both are needed

Street tunes , I look to improve the driveability over all, better take off, better idle , no surge , good take off with AC on Etc

WOT= Wide Open Throttle looks at a totally Diff fuel map/tables as well as the load is much higher in the timing tables then a street tune , a WOT tune will do nothing for driveability

In my opinion what you want is a good daily driver tune with good WOT power and TQ but not to the point it causes surg , deto , stumble or poor driveability

I try to do good driveability and if it makes more power thats a bonus

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts