i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
svts arent that fast.

the xrs is a pig.

the cars are horrid.

·
Banned
3,065 Posts
Oh really? The older XRS model's will not "edge" any U.S Focus ST. As previously stated, the XRS shares the same motor as the Celica GTS However it was toned down to 161 HP due to regulations. The torque is even more disappointing touching the 125 mark. On a good day, the Matrix will run a HIGH HIGH 15 but generally run low 16's.

My buddy had one and my stock ST swiftly pulled away from him with his intake AND exhaust.
[smackbum] [whip] [histerical] LMAOROF [cheers] Focus ST = [strongman]

You should see the vids of a GTS [thumbd] and me....[burnout]

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
I don't get how you can even see how a Matrix could even be considered quick.

The car is GUTLESS before switching over to VVT-i and it doesn't even switch over til around 6100 RPM and you can only revv it to 8100 RPM so when you shift it's back down to like 4500 and you have to climb your way back up to the VVT-i switching point. It's a sorry knock off of VTEC.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Maybe there was a detuned version? Toyota does do some strange stuff.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2003/toyota/matrix/100074129/specs.html

180hp for '03 at least. Ah : SAE changes the power rating to 164hp.

http://www.modernracer.com/toyotamatrixxrs.html

Top speed : 134 mph
0-60 mph : 7.3 sec.(manual)
0-¼ mile : 15.7 sec @ 92.0 mph

60-0 braking distance : 118 ft
200 ft skidpad : 0.78 g

Curb Weight : 2800-2877 lbs

Look at the power/weight. Methinks some people just can't drive high-revving 4s.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take a Focus ST in a heartbeat over the XRS, but stock v. stock, I can't see how the XRS wouldn't slightly edge it with good drivers in each car.
Thanks for atleast correcting yourself. There was never a 180 HP Matrix, and I'm going by what an owner of one tells me. The "fast" XRS touches 164 and sorry 125 torque mark.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yeah, I'm not saying it was a speed demon by any means, I've only seen the slow Matrix in person, never the better XRS version doing anything. Just going by the numbers, it seems to not be a terrible performer, 0-60 in 7.3 is pretty decent for a cheap box. I think an excellent driver in a Focus ST could do about the same w/stock?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reading this whole thing has me edgy. I've got a 2011 matrix S. The xr was dropped in 2011. Stock I'm pushing 158 hp with 160lb-ft torque. Right now it's sitting at 175 due to exhaust and intake. The base models push 132 hp I believe. I have the 5 speed manual while the awd only come in the 1.8L and automatic. The S has the upgraded 2.4L. My vvti kicks in at around 5900 and I redline at around 7100.

I have raced a fiesta St twice from two different red lights. Now I didn't know this guy so I have no idea what was happening with transmission, driving capability nor if he has any mods. What I do know is my launch is on point so both races I killed him off the line. Around 150-200 ft he slowly crept up and passed me.

That should help you guys out a little on what to think.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts