Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i thought they were AWD with over [email protected] ?

iono... i lined up with a black matrix, with black wheels and green neon's under the car...

maybe he was hauling bricks?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Matrix XRS are 170hp on a 2800lb FWD setup, pretty snappy really. The rest were 123hp, ugh. This is for the first-gen that ended with the '06 model year. No idea on the newer ones.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
The new Matrix's look 1000% better than the older ones. I think they look alright. The sure look a hell of a lot better than the Caliber.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
They don't all come in awd, some of them are, but I think most people get fwd. Also, they are not that fast, the new ones arent either. Go check the times on them and see for yourself.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The older XRS models will slightly edge any stock US Focus outside of the SVT with equal driver/transmission. 0-60 was mid-7s, quarter in very high 14s, or very low 15s. The new one with the heavier, larger, lower-output motor appears to be a lot slower. Just saw a review of the '09 XRS, and it did 0-60 in 7.9, 1/4 in 16.2. Bleh.

·
Leave it stock?
2,284 Posts
^ at least you can get it in AWD lol.

·
Registered
446 Posts
All XRS models are AWD as well as 6-speed, along with the Vibe GTs. When you put the car in reverse there is a back-up alarm inside the cabin so that you know your not in 1st gear lol, it gets me everytime :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
xrs are NOT awd but are six speeds tho. only awd are automatics and are just matrix's or xr's . the xrs' use the celica gts motor and 6 speed and same with corolla xrs. the reg. matrix blows same with reg. corolla and celcia gt. celica gts, and the xrs corolla and matrix versions were pretty decent. new 09 regular matrix and corolla uses a brand new 1.8 motor with varible valve timing on intake and exhaust cams, pretty snappy but still not the greatest. the new xrs matix and corolla use the camry/ tC/ rav4 2.4L 2az-fe motor with 168hp and 145 ftlbs (i believe), a 5 speed standard or auto. (this motor is also an option for the regular matrix and corolla) havent drove them yet but when i do i will let u all know.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
well if i didnt get a focus the matrix xrs was onthe lsit asa close second,lol. the fact that NO ONE makes speed parts for one made it pretty obvious

·
Nope, Chuck Testa
6,442 Posts
we have one here at work and the automatic is geared so poorly. first isnt bad, but when it shifts into second it looses all power and its almost scary when there are big trucks coming up behind you.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
The older XRS models will slightly edge any stock US Focus outside of the SVT with equal driver/transmission. 0-60 was mid-7s, quarter in very high 14s, or very low 15s.
Oh really? The older XRS model's will not "edge" any U.S Focus ST. As previously stated, the XRS shares the same motor as the Celica GTS However it was toned down to 161 HP due to regulations. The torque is even more disappointing touching the 125 mark. On a good day, the Matrix will run a HIGH HIGH 15 but generally run low 16's.

My buddy had one and my stock ST swiftly pulled away from him with his intake AND exhaust.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Oh really? The older XRS model's will not "edge" any U.S Focus ST. As previously stated, the XRS shares the same motor as the Celica GTS However it was toned down to 161 HP due to regulations. The torque is even more disappointing touching the 125 mark. On a good day, the Matrix will run a HIGH HIGH 15 but generally run low 16's.

My buddy had one and my stock ST swiftly pulled away from him with his intake AND exhaust.
Maybe there was a detuned version? Toyota does do some strange stuff.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2003/toyota/matrix/100074129/specs.html

180hp for '03 at least. Ah : SAE changes the power rating to 164hp.

http://www.modernracer.com/toyotamatrixxrs.html

Top speed : 134 mph
0-60 mph : 7.3 sec.(manual)
0-¼ mile : 15.7 sec @ 92.0 mph

60-0 braking distance : 118 ft
200 ft skidpad : 0.78 g

Curb Weight : 2800-2877 lbs

Look at the power/weight. Methinks some people just can't drive high-revving 4s.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take a Focus ST in a heartbeat over the XRS, but stock v. stock, I can't see how the XRS wouldn't slightly edge it with good drivers in each car.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
they are still gay.

and slower then dirt

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
I could never figured out why the AWD variants came with the weakest motor available only....[8]

I really like the new redesign over last year's. They look pretty sharp in white.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts