Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took off one of my front tires and found that it was wearing really badly on the inside like it was rubbing something. I looked but only found a little spot on the plastic fender that looked like it was rubbing. I looked on the other side of the car and it looks just about the same just not as bad. Furthermore, when I took the wheels off last year to put on winters, I did not notice any wear. Does anyone know what is going on here.

The only spot I found that looked like rubbing.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is your car lowered as well? If so the negative camber isn't helping the wear.
No, my car has a completely stock suspension.

I have looked around a little bit and somewhere said that this kind of wear can also be caused by bad shocks (which my car is definitely getting). Does this mean it's time to upgrade the suspension or can I keep limping this one along until I get more cash?

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
i see that type of wear a lot. I agree that it could be an alignment issue. However i do see that type of wear on Pirelli tires more then the Hankooks and Conti's that are on the same cars. So, its possible that it wears in that way because of the design of the tire. Or a combination of both alignment and cheap tires. i would do new tires or your winters then get the alignment checked. have them print out the readings and post it up here to if possible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
you're using 17" wheels so it's the camber and yes worn out shocks add to it. Buy some camber bolts and you'll be good to go! the inside wear adds up real slow so it can take months before it's noticeable. If your winter tires are smaller you won't have the same problem so it's not a good trouble shooting comparison. Could be an outside chance the wheel bearings are shot. doubt it though because you'd hear that real easy and the odds of both sides wearing out is pretty slim.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wheels bearing are fine. My first Focus had bad ones so I know what that sound and feels like.

My winter tires I am running actually are bigger (I got them cheap and used so I didn't have much choice) but they have no indication of wear. Furthermore, I had these wheels off in about July and didn't notice any wear so it seems to be happening pretty aggressively.

What I am trying to figure out now is if I should upgrade my suspension now and if it would help with this wear. I am planning to do this sooner or later but was planning on later. Would this somewhat solve this problem or not really effect it? (I wouldn't go with any aggressive drop).

·
Registered
20 Posts
it's the camber, trust that. go and get an alignment check! if you lower your car more than an 1" you'll have to get camber bolts and kits for the front and back to keep the tires from grinding away. FYI there are sites where you can get the stats on how many degrees the camber changes per lowering increment. I had 15 OEM rims. I went to 17's. I noticed the wear on the inside of the tires little by little. I lowered the car 1 & 1/2" and the wear went off the wall. I bought camber bolts/kits F & R + new tires, same dimension, and never have had a problem since.

·
Registered
621 Posts
even thou i have a D-tec i know the problem.... tires are junk! Sorry but I had a set (came on the car) and noisy as F they were... i think the lady never rotated em but even with half tread traction was minimal.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
even thou i have a D-tec i know the problem.... tires are junk! Sorry but I had a set (came on the car) and noisy as F they were... i think the lady never rotated em but even with half tread traction was minimal.
Yeah. The tires came on my car too when I bought it so I know they aren't the best.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
funny, mine had hri's on the back when I got it too... still have em on my car now actually. they sure last a long time.

definitely a camber issue, and a bad shock or out of balance will make it uneven like it is.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Moved to "Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored By Tire Rack"

·
Registered
16 Posts
ITS NOT A CAMBER ISSUE!!!

Look he has stock suspension and the focus has no camber adjustments built into it. Where does the bad camber come from then? Stock from Ford these cars have a slight camber once you throw bad toe into the mix you get extremely fast tire wear.

How do you guys think people run lowered cars with camber? They set their toe to 0*. I have about 2* negative camber up front and have very little wear on the inside of the tire because I have the toe set correctly.

To the OP, yes your suspension is due for a refresher. It may not be helping but its not the sole issue here. Go have your car aligned. Take a copy of the specs stickied at the top of this section and demand those specs nothing less.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile Alignment is def the issue, well maybe, does your car track to a certain side. I just ordered new tires because they are badly worn on the inside. My spring was cracked for who knows how long, noticed it making a ton of noise in april. Prior to that I got an alingment because I thought it would fix the pull to the right. Didnt work, after the spring fix, still no good. So I ordered a new suspension as well since I figure the cracked spring destroyed the right shock, and my cars at 65k so its prob due to replace all anyway. I went with the svt suspension, so itll be even more of an upgrade. Ordered it through tousley fords online shop. So cheap, I got the pre assembled one, m3000 zx3a. It comes with everything except the rear sway. So pretty much a replacement for svt owners. Oh and I wouldnt do an alignment till you do suspension and tires, you have to do it after suspension anyway, no use wasting money.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Normally camber is not an issue up front unless it is beyond the spec range. It doesn't appear to be shocks either as shock wear will have a more "cupped/uneven" appearance. Do have the toe checked. The way the edge of the tire is rounded does look like it could be rubbing on something or possibly on a suspension component (e.g. spring). With the amount of tire wear shown it would, however, cause more component wear than shown in the last photo.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
I have to ask, why is the wheel bent, why is it rubbing now, and what did you hit?

camber is not adjustable on these, true, but collisions do tend to change that. you're forgetting that toe won't only affect the inside edge unless there was some massive camber going on.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't tell you what I've hit because I have hit many things: potholes, the edge of the pavement where it washes out sometimes, really ruff railroad tracks, and stones but they are usually at much slower speeds. Driving along, it doesn't feel like the wheel is bent and it is still appears to be perfectly round on the outside which obviously isn't saying much. I definitively wouldn't rule out the possibility that something got bent once. The part I find slightly strange is that it's both sides and the worst one is the drivers side which rarely ever hits anything.

I'm all but certain that nothing is rubbing except the spot I showed in the picture which I doubt would wear anything close to what I'm looking at. The springs have plenty of clearance and nothing else seems to be even close. Furthermore, my winter tires are larger and showed no signs of rubbing last year.

One thing that I probably should add is that there is a clunking sound coming from the front suspension. I have looked underneath but can't find anything that looks like it has broken loose but know that this wear is starting to happen, I am wondering if there my be any connection.

·
FOCUS REVOLUTION
2,872 Posts
I have to ask, why is the wheel bent, why is it rubbing now, and what did you hit?

camber is not adjustable on these, true, but collisions do tend to change that. you're forgetting that toe won't only affect the inside edge unless there was some massive camber going on.

That's not 100% true you can have little camber bad toe and it'll chew the tire from the inside out to the outer edge that is what looks like it happening get an alignment and new tires and keep an eye on it

Posted via FF Mobile

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
I can't tell you what I've hit because I have hit many things: potholes, the edge of the pavement where it washes out sometimes, really ruff railroad tracks, and stones but they are usually at much slower speeds. Driving along, it doesn't feel like the wheel is bent and it is still appears to be perfectly round on the outside which obviously isn't saying much. I definitively wouldn't rule out the possibility that something got bent once. The part I find slightly strange is that it's both sides and the worst one is the drivers side which rarely ever hits anything.

I'm all but certain that nothing is rubbing except the spot I showed in the picture which I doubt would wear anything close to what I'm looking at. The springs have plenty of clearance and nothing else seems to be even close. Furthermore, my winter tires are larger and showed no signs of rubbing last year.

One thing that I probably should add is that there is a clunking sound coming from the front suspension. I have looked underneath but can't find anything that looks like it has broken loose but know that this wear is starting to happen, I am wondering if there my be any connection.

Posted via FF Mobile Does this clunking sound sound more like a bang and a clang? Especially when turning the wheel? You probably have a cracked spring buddy. I bet thats it. Take it somewhere to get looked out.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts