Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys, I am having a problem with the starting on my car and was wondering if anyone has had the same issue exactly. There are 2 issues that I am dealing with.

I have the '05 Focus ZX4. Everything is manual, i.e. windows, locks, seats. The car doesn't even have ABS.

It seems like my problem only happens when it's cold and maybe once or twice when the temperature is over 80F.

I will stick the key in and turn it. I will get the crank but it wont fire. I have to stop cranking and start cranking again 2-7 times before it finally fires up.

The starter always engages.

I have tried a lot of things so far. I have replaced the idle air control valve, battery, alternator, and cleaned up the wires as best I could. I even did the BIG 3 upgrade to see if that would help. It didn't.

I have a second problem and that is once the car starts the dome light inside will flicker. Not on and off but like the voltage isn't correct. It's more like a pulse than a flicker but you understand I'm sure.

Also the voltage when I am running is 13.9-14.2 and when the car is off it's at 12.3-12.7

These are the main issues with my Focus and it's been driving me mad for 2 years now.

I have read a few things about the voltage regulator going out in some alternators but since this one is new-ish and I've had it tested that shouldn't be the issue.

I also wanted to mention that the positive and negative battery cable housings are starting to melt around the wire and exposing it. I can see about 2" of the wire exposed and it is a greenish white color (corrosion) and I am installing a new positive cable today so I will update when that gets in.

Any information is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Here's a a link to one thread on the starting problem from '05:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64229

IF it's never been to the Dealer for the starting problem, it may never have had the PCM update that's avail. through a service bulletin for the '05 models.

Not a freebie, might cost an hour's labor to get done now (more or less). bulletin was out for what to do if the problem showed up.

Has the dome light been replaced by an LED type by chance? See reports on some of those staying lit a little &/or sometimes a flicker when used there - brand & type can affect that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a a link to one thread on the starting problem from '05:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64229

IF it's never been to the Dealer for the starting problem, it may never have had the PCM update that's avail. through a service bulletin for the '05 models.

Not a freebie, might cost an hour's labor to get done now (more or less). bulletin was out for what to do if the problem showed up.

Has the dome light been replaced by an LED type by chance? See reports on some of those staying lit a little &/or sometimes a flicker when used there - brand & type can affect that.
I called the dealership today and they said they can check to see if the update has been done and if it hasn't then they can do it for $60. Not too bad.

Also I have replaced the dome light with an LED but it was doing it before so that isn't the issue either.

I did end up getting the positive cable installed today and the flickering is still there but so far the car has started every time. Hopefully that part of my problem is dealt with.

I will update when I have more information available.

Also this car just passed 188,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Melting insulation is never a good thing. Put in a new ground as well, clean up any corrosion, make sure it's attached firmly to bare metal, then coat with grease or Vaseline.
You'd be amazed how many weird electrical gremlins come from the slightest problem with grounds.

At 188k it has lots of life. My '03 is a hair shy of 300k miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts