Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sept. 17th, 2011
During extensive stop and go traffic, (after the brakes warm up?) I take my foot off the brake and start to creep forward, 10 to 30 km/hr, there is a smooth mid pitched sound (non screeching) that appears to come from the right front area. It oscillates almost like a warped wheel would if it rubbed against something but it sounds smooth, not a high pitched metallic screech.
I drive a 2005 Ford Focus. When it is cold, doesn't make a sound, only when it is warm. Took it to the Ford service center here, no clue.. I even recorded the sound for them. No luck...any help would be appreciated.. I have been driving almost a 100km a day for about 5 months with nothing breaking yet... Someone please, please help!!!

MrHoffmann in Taiwan

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds dumb but a wheel working loose can make the same sound. Make sure you re torque your lug nuts to be sure. Another thing is check your pinch bolt (where the spindle bolts to the lower control arm). Make sure your ball joints look good as well while your at it. If its none of these then it could be a wheel bearing starting to go, does it make any clicking of any sort when you turn sharply?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no clicking sound, just a rubbing one, and I can make it worse by turning the wheel slightly while slowly accelerating...I will translate this to a local mechanic friend of mine. One of the great things about living in Taiwan is there is no charge for labour, they only charge for parts, but they are unwilling to explore unless there is a near absolute chance of finding a broken part. lol I am also going to post the sound on youtube in my next post, if you get a chance, take a listen..

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Mitch

1 - 3 of 3 Posts