Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the car is on jackstands, I decided to see if I could narrow down the "clanking" noise my car makes while idling and starting off in first gear. I decided to try to recreate the problem with the car in the air and came to find out that the passenger side hub spins more freely than the driver's side. Any suggestions at to what may be causing this or is this normal?? Thanks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Foci_Fosho said:
there's no load on the drive-train... so the wheel with less "drag" will spin faster.

at least that's my uneducated guess.
That's what I figured, but the driver's wheel will slightly spin, then stop while the other side freely spins. I'm so used to rear-driven solid axle Mustangs.[:(]

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
oh, you mean off-throttle...
well yea, the passanger side will spin freely because it's an open-differential, and it's basically just spinning on the wheel bearing. The driver side however, is connected to the axle, and gears of the transmission....

sorry i couldn't explain it better... but yea.. something to that extent.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Be careful.. the vibration, torque movements and spinning mass of the wheels could set the car off ballance if it isnt perfect on the jack stands. One thing you should not ever do is hit the brakes with the wheels spinning fast, doing that could generate enough force to knock the car off the jackstands forward.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info guys.....i'm still learning this FWD stuff. [:D]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts