Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i pulled my spark plugs today and put some new 104's in there, seems to run ok but i noticed on my old plugs a strange brownish look on two and the other 2 were perfectly clean, but not on teh tip. Here are some pics. can anyone tell me what this could possibly mean? i Hope my car isn't gonna blow up or something.

Any ideas?

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
what gap are you running them at?

looks like they were running pretty hot is my guess

check the gap, and let us know

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the most bronw colored one was running a .061 and the whitest one was at .055

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok well the new plugs were generally set right around .057 so you think its alright? i guess i won't know till i check them a little later on. But no engine damages could of come of this im hoping

·
Registered
872 Posts
The stain on the ceramic under the coil connector has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the gap or plug operating temp. It's looks like a rust stain caused by moisture in the spark plug tube, or possibly there has been some combustion leakage past the shell of the plug due to a minor defect. You are aware that the plug gap increases with mileage put on them, ESPECIALLY with these plugs. Set these to a gap lets say of .055" and 10,000 miles later the gap is gonna be considerably more. The business ends of all those plugs look just fine. BUT, why are you not using the OEM plugs?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm not using the OEM plugs because of recommendation on here. It seems everyone beleives the autolite 104's are a great plug and i really don't mind changing them every 10-15k miles. I did notice a much smoother idle when i switched so it seemed like the best choice. Especially for 5 bucks for 4!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts