Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Sedan and recently the right front wheel well has been making strange hollow sounds when I turn left or hit bumps or potholes.

I thought something must be stuck in the wheel well, but everything looks normal.

I'm assuming that it's something to do with the strut or shock absorber, but before I take it in I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything similar?

Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the same problem with my ZX5,and I am going to the dealer next Tuesday to have it fix.
He told me that it could be the suspension or the wheel bearings.I'll get back to you next week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jupiter. I think I'm going to take my car in next week also. I'll let you know what the diagnosis is.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I had to have my wheel bearing replaced on one of my wheels after only 60k miles. Foci are notorious for this, apparently. Although my bearing sounded like something was "rubbing" on the tire (which is what I was convinced it was until i took it in).

I'm not an expert by any means, but how many miles are on your suspension? If it's over 60k you might be ripe for new shocks/struts. I'd suggest going with an SVT suspension ordered from the dealer as the cost is almost the same as it is to order shocks and struts for a non-svt.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It coudl be your sturt bearing, i had this problem for years without knowing what it was, go up toi your wheel and push the top of the tire, if it moves with the wheel straight but not with it turned then it is the strut bearing, easy fix, parts were 25 bucks and to rent out a spring compressor, otherwise someone will have to do it for you.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I went to my dealer tuesday and had it fixed.They took out the complete strut assembly and
then replace a rubber part that goes between the spring and the upper plate of the strut.Since then I didn't hear the noise again.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
It could also just be the inner fender lining. They have come loose in a spot or two on a few cars and rub when bumped a bit. Take a look in there and see if you see any rub marks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Black&Tan said:
I had to have my wheel bearing replaced on one of my wheels after only 60k miles. Foci are notorious for this, apparently. Although my bearing sounded like something was "rubbing" on the tire (which is what I was convinced it was until i took it in).
Wow! This is exactly what I'm experiencing with my 2004 Focus. It's only got 24 000 miles on it, so I'm taking it to the dealer ASAP. I've only had it for a week, and noticed this almost immediately. I too thought it was maybe the tires, but it gets worse when I turn left (right bearing?). I had the same thing happen to an '83 Accord, but this was after about 250 000 km (Canadian car).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts