Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, 1st time posting on these forums, I have a 2002 SVT low millage mint condition, oils and everything else regularly checked .

So this is the problem, since this morning when the engine is running i have this very strange noise coming from the silver metal box right under the battery , sorry I dont know what part is that i was looking for some blue prints so i can establish the name of it but i could not find any.

Pretty much its just this noise its not effecting the driving or anything so far, it sounds like a broken rotor that works nonstop and making weird noises, and its located right under the metal sheet where the battery is sitting on . Any help on finding out what part or what can cause this will be appreciated. I was wondering if it could be the water pump for the windshield washer , though its still working normally.

Thank you.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I'm not 100% but i think that may be the Imtake Manifold Runner Controler. It's a electronic box that controls the switching of the intake runners, from long to short. Looks similar to the Cruise Control box which should be on the firewall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It might be it, because when you touch the gas you can hear sometimes this strange noise like a pressure switch , its only when you barely touch the gas and this sound is similar but way stronger and constant , its pretty much like a motor spinning non-stop and scratching on something.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
First off...[welcome]
Second off...That is the IMRC as iminhell eluded to.
But, it also may be a broken DSI clip that is causing the problem.
^^^The IMRC is trying to pull the cable, but since the cable is not attached to the DSI anymore, it keeps cycling back and forth.

For the time being, you can disconnect the plug to the IMRC to shut it off, but you'll more than likely get a CEL.

The SVT Performance Chat forums has a few threads and pics to help you diagnose the problem.
Look first at your DSI clip.
It's on the intake manifold just below the TB.
These 2 threads might be of some help:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56157
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164269

In fact, though this is an engine problem, and I commend you for putting your thread in Technical Chat,
I will move it to the SVT area since this is an SVT specific part, and that's where all the info is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts