Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I have come hear about my 2017 Ford Focus 1.5 TDCI TITANIUM X
When holding the car in the clutch, while doing a hill start for example there is a strange grinding grouching sort of noise. I have taken it back to ford but they say that can’t do anything about the issue as they can’t reproduce the issue and we can’t show them the issue due to corona. Was hoping someone here would be able to help me find out what the noise is.
Thanks in advance
If anyone knows how to I can attach a video of the sound

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi mate my mrs has a grand c max and every so often it does this but only when setting off from lights etc at slow speed. It can go for ages without doing it ! My 2018 focus mk3.5 also does it occasionally too but not like yours when parked up. Also I've noticed it when it is warm weather too. I'm sure ford told me it's a build up of dust etc dont know how true that is to be honest

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah so to make it make the noise in the video I put the hand break on as hard as I could. Had my foot on the break and held the car on the bite of the clutch. It makes the noise a lot. Just never when ford have the car. I’m just worried that when the warranty runs out in September I’ll have to fork out £1500+ for a new clutch on a car with 37,000 miles on the clock. Ford have said they have the issue logged on the system so when they can see it they’ll fix it but I’m not convinced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
man that sounds terrible, how in the world could they not duplicate that noise? Sometimes the info you tell the service advisor gets lost in translation to the technician. The service advisors over here at my dealership never tell us exactly what the customer tells them or never tells the customer what we told them it super annoying.

I wouldn't think it would be any different from a gas engine but we don't have those 1.5 tdci over here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it’s a clutch problem so shouldn’t be any different between petrol or diesel cars. The problem is that the issue is intermittent so they could be trying to replicate the issue in the correct way but the car just not doing it. It’s rather frustrating especially as I’ve only had the car since march

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know why but this also sounds like when the rubber on the a/c compressor clutch fails and the clutch is spinning but not the compressor shaft. Not saying thats it but it sounds similar. I had some cars with that noise.

I guess it only does it after its been driven and warmed up or is it at random and can happen cold or hot?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It does it at random. Sometimes it does it cold and then not do it when cold. Sometimes it does it when hot then other times not. That’s the most annoying part. I know how to reproduce the sound I just don’t know what conditions the car has to be in for it to make the sound

1 - 8 of 8 Posts