Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been having this problem with my car for a little while now, but it's not too bothersome , just kinda weird.

When i'm stopped at a redlight for a while, my car's rpm's are usually at about 750-800, but lately, they will drop down to about 500-600 and then come back up and do that a few times. And i can get them to drop a little more if i turn the wheel a little bit while i'm stopped.

Has anyone come across anything like this or know what is going on.... i thought maybe one of my intake tubes was loose and leaking a little, but everything seems to be real tight.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
im having the same problem. dealership cannot figure it out. my guess is a sticking iac

vic from focussport seems to think it is the MAF

the only reason i can see it being a MAF is when the tubing had to come out to install the CAI *which we all have* the MAF got damaged and it is very sensative, but i thought i was uber careful... oh well :(

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so the MAF may need a cleaning?? and are there anything bad that can happen from this. The only real problem i've come into with this is sometimes when i'm parrallel parking and i hit it into reserve and turn the wheel rear fast it stalls out..... and i have an automatic. The stalling hasn't happen lately but i think this may have been the culprit.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
don;'t clean that maf, it is probably damaged, accoarding to vic they are realitvly cheap so just replace it.

umm i've also notice the power steering pump likes to draw a lot of engine power, same wiht the alternator when im putting the window's down at idle.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i noticed the p/s pump and the electrical system drawing a lot of power too. gitar do you by chance have a system (subs) that is pulling a ton of power?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nope, thought the stock radio isn't the greatest, i have only spent money on performance parts so far

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i'm glad i'm not the only one, but double you tea eff is the deal with that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not quite the same problem but problamatic enough to give me some concern. When I start my car and its completely cooled down all the way, my car idles around 2000 rpms at first. During the initial startup the rpms drop pretty rapidly, but it seems like the idle is searching for where it's supposed to be. What could this problem be.

thanks
rich

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rich i think that is the car trying to warm up the engine faster. when the engine is cold it will idle at higher rpm's until it is warm, then it should idle around 800 like it's suppose to

·
Registered
35 Posts
It drops to 800 or so rpms after its warmed up, but what has me questioning the tune is that it searches and bounces up and down and is generally unsteady until its warmed up.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Rich's ZX4 said:
It drops to 800 or so rpms after its warmed up, but what has me questioning the tune is that it searches and bounces up and down and is generally unsteady until its warmed up.
This is totally normal, as lomg as it idles smoothly when it's worm don't worry about it.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
This might sound weird but, my car did the same thing (here's the weird part) until I installed my new exhaust.

Ended up I had a exhaust leak on my car with only 7000 miles it started at the weld connecting the pipe to the muffler and half way down the whole muffler (the first one). It has not done it in 3 days (installed exhaust Tuesday) and it used to happen every stop.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that is weird, so basically the stock exhaust crummy?? well that's a good enough excuse for me to get new exhaust

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
If it does not fix the problem you could just always rev up to hear the exhaust! LOL

BTW

Get the focus sport exhaust!! [:D]

But seroiusly look under your car on the exhaust you might have a leak like I did. I dont know why I did but it was good enough of an excuse for me. Oh and no ford will not buy the FS exhaust under warrenty ( I tried ) my friend would not even do it.

Pff some friend LOL.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i'm planning on getting the FS ceramic coated stealth exhaust... just give me a few paychecks first

1 - 20 of 27 Posts