Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried searching this site and others, but maybe I don't know how to explain the problem enough to find an answer....

I have 2002 SVT w/ about 146k miles. No mod's, no real issues.

Yesterday "out of nowhere" at the end of the day I turned the key and before it even kicked over there was a loud "whirring" noise from just inside the engine bay from the driver side.

I turned off the AC, turned off the radio, turned off the wipers, etc... so that nothing is on. Turn the key to the on position (not started, just on position), and the noise is there (and loud). It sounds like a pump cycling or similar. I have popped hood, and don't see anything obvious.

The sound is coming from (seemingly) under the battery and fuse box area (driver side, middle to rear of the engine bay)

I appreciate your feedback and/or links to other instances or walkthru's to address it.

oh yeah, the car runs fine, no power issues, no steering or brake issues, etc. But it really sounds bad like something is about to burn up or go out. It did light my Check Engine light, but I live about 20 miles from someplace to check the code.... (honestly scared to drive it that far to check it).

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
well the washer fluid pump is over there. check and see if it works. when i get home i'll poke around and see what else it could be that makes a motor or whirring noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the washer fluid pump is over there. check and see if it works. when i get home i'll poke around and see what else it could be that makes a motor or whirring noise.
Thanks. I checked that too, it seems to work fine... Is there a fuse for that I could pull to see? I'll have to check that too...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems to be coming from a "black box" beneath the battery towards the front bumper (under the head lights) ??? Sounds like it's further back when overhead, but when beneath the car that's where it seems to come from.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IDK... One of the mechanics in our shop took a look at it this afternoon, and found the sound coming from that "box". He unplugged it, took it off, cleaned it up, and put it back. So far no more sound?

There is still a check-engine light; I'll have to run by an AZ to get the code....

for now no sound, but is there more to come? And what was that box? He had it off and back on in just minutes, I didn't even get to see it.

???

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Recommend reading up on the IMRC and checking the clip on your intake under the throttle body.
That's a good idea. I forgot about the plastic clip on the intake breaking. Get that check engine light scanned ASAP.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts