Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so confused about this issue, or really, more of a hiccup.

Yesterday morning, my car started fine. Voltage was at 14-14.4 (I have a meter on my head unit) during the drive to work. After I was off work at 2:30pm, my car started fine, drove home, car sat for about an hour, then when I went to start it it was completely dead. Used a meter and got 3 volts. I jumped it, drove it around, and it seems to be working fine now with about 5 successful starts since it died and was jumped. Battery is 8 months old.

I'm 99% sure I didn't leave anything on, because ever since I jumped it, I haven't turned anything off that I accidentally left on.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

If you leave your car unlocked, can the battery drain? Because when I tried to start it while it was dead, the doors were not locked and I was able to get in without having to manually turn the key.

When alternators are going out, do they charge intermediately?

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Go to an auto parts store that does free electrical testing and have it checked out.

Do you have a multimeter?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat

Did you check the voltage at the posts or the terminals?

First guess would be a bad connection at the terminals, leading to the no crank & low volt reading. Jump would disturb them & often make a better connection.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts