Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the last couple of weeks I have noticed that a strange buzzing sound coming from the front of the car that is increasing day by day. It sounds like I’m using off road tires such as those found on Monster Trucks or ATVs! The sound can be heard even from 25 mph/45 kms and from there up the buzzing sound just increases. I believe the CV joints are to blame as when turning left the strange buzzing sound disappears but when going back straight or turning right the sound comes back again. Have any of you had problems with CV joints or experienced something similar? Your feedback will be appreciated

Cheers

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Have you recently changed tires or wheels? Have you recently lowered your car?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh thanks for your questions "benkap". Nope I haven't changed tires in 2 years, just rotated them the way it should be done (front to back and back to front keeping sides). And lowered the car 3 years ago by means of the Eibach Pro Kit Plus, I was thinking that this sound may be the long effect of lowering the car but who knows. I've also checked the rubber boots/covers on the CV joints and all of them look in good shape.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Have you checked you inner fenders for a rub? If there is any sag it would be making that offroad tire noise.

Does the noise change when you turn?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeap, checked fenders and nothing rubs. The noise disappear when turning left but comes back when going straight and turning right, because of this behavior I believe we can rule out the tires from this weird sound, if it were the tires I think they will sound going at any direction but who knows. I do not have any vibration and the car drives good and stable when cornering as when I installed the Eibach setting 3 years ago.

·
Registered
459 Posts
check power steering fluid...rule that out.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Normally a CV will make a clickking noise when it is going bad.

Any loose exterior trim pieces that could be vibrating in the wind?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Power steering fluid is all good and no loose exterior trim pieces. Sounds like this could be a complicated troubleshooting process and headed for a long weekend at repairs : S. I believe it is got to be something related to the driveaxles, it could be the CV joints, the sliding tripod type inner joints, the right hand intermediate shaft tripod housing and it's support bearing. To me the main suspect are the CV joints as the sound goes away when turning left and is the only component that moves according to the direction of the wheels, but hey, I'm not an expect mechanic and ideas are welcomed!

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Now that we got the simple stuff out of the way, any play in your wheel? You might have bad bearings.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't noticed any play with the wheels but that is one of the things I will check on the weekend. I have had multiple bad experiences with the rear wheel bearings, and because of that I ended up upgrading the rear bearings with an entire set of rear SVT brakes to avoid touching the wheel bearings when servicing the brakes in the case of drums when removing them, this upgrade took place 2 years ago. I remember the first time I felt a strong vibration and I almost lost one of the rear wheels on the road while driving because of that. This time there is no vibration but yeap, front wheel bearings are a suspect too : S

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I've checked all front bearings, CV joints and related components and I believe my problem is something entirely different. The buzzing noise appears to be coming from inside the transmission, oh crap!! This noise is more noticeable on 4th and pronounced on 5th gear going at a speed of 80 km/h -50 mp/h +. Seems like I will open a new thread on the transmission forum. Not good, not good!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts