Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a trip out to Connecticut (1.5hrs of driving). It was almost all highway miles and my SVT ran very well out there. When I pulled up to a friend's house and let it idle as I waited for him to come out, however, the car started spark-knocking and slmost stalled! I gave it tiny bit of throttle and it woke right up but felt a little weak and was still spark-knocking a tiny bit when it came back ot idle. It definitely wasn't a rattle of a bracket either. Once I started driving on the highway it cleared right up again but right after I left the house it felt REALLY weak.

My car is bone stock and has a Stock Ford Tune. I always run 93 octane too. I checked to see if my millage reflected any sort of issues and I averaged about 32MPG with two people and 2-300lbs of crap in the back hatch area on stop+go Rt6/44/etc so I guess she was running perfectly on the highway... Was it heat saturation that caused this? It was a cool night with no rain and temps were in the same area as usual. What gives?

·
Registered
525 Posts
check your coil pack and wires maybe plugs too while your at it.

Could have a split in the wires somewhere. Possibly let it run and take a look at the wires to see any arching between any of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem. I took it to the dealer and they found a vacumm leak in a hose comming behind the throtle. I wish I should have known that I could have saved $300 in labor if I had replaced it myself. They replace the hose it cost something like $40.00

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
FocusDog said:
Why 93 octane in a bone stock vehicle?
SVTF: Requires 91 octane minimum.

penguin said:
What is "spark-knocking?"
Another term for pre-ignition, detonation, pinging, or knocking.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm on my third coil pack in 20k miles. First one blew and I put a used on in it that promptly died. I put a new one in and so far so good. I put fresh wires/plus on it very recently too. I also inspected all of the wires and everything looks good right now...

I think the vacume line thing might be it! Maybe it was running lean? Also, I noticed the car tried to idle at around 2500RPM yesterday on a cold start. I turned it off let it sit for a few seconds and tried starting it again and it idled down to about 1k. High Idling is typical for vaccume leaks. The car is also SURGING- when I accelerate it takes off like a bat out of hell once I hit 2800RPM.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
It's "vacuum". I don't know of another word with double u's like that. That's how I remember how to spell it. Not trying to be a smarty pants now, but for us here on these particular boards, it's a frequently used word that usually gets butchered.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Starting to think that the TPS might be a little screwy too- The car sometimes doesn't respond to throttle in the area where I am always at (10-35%). As soon as I let off a little (5% area) or hit it a little harder (40+%) it responds. Maybe it is the vacuum lines but it seems a little odd for it to be like this at any RPM... It only does this once and a while too.

Any thoughts?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts