Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then when I am driving my SVT around town with the AC on both my water temp gauge and oil temp gauge will shoot all the way up but with no warning lights. As soon as I shut the AC off, they go back down to normal. I'm pretty sure the fans are engaging and the coolant level is good (just had to fix a leak in the expansion tank). Anyone have any idea on what might be causing this? It is very random. I was able to drive for 4 hours with the AC on and no problems yet earlier this afternoon, the symptoms returned.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Does it happen while in motion, or while sitting at a stoplight in traffic?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When moving. Sometimes it happens around town, sometimes it happens on the highway. Never really noticed it happening while sitting still.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, can anyone help me with this? It's damn hot out here and I am afraid to use my AC anymore.

·
Registered
456 Posts
It sound like a typical problem with a 4 cylinder, you have the a/c on and your running her pretty hard. down shifting accelerating and what not and then, the a/c goes out and then comes back on? If this is the case then nothing is wrong, some V8 cars will do this as well adn its just your putting stress on the motor. It can only handle so much so when you run hard something has to give and the eec will pick the a/c every time, and when there is more power available it will come back on. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think that's the problem. I've had the car since new and it never did this until this summer. For some reason, I think my high-speed fans aren't engaging. Either way, the car is going to the dealer next Tuesday to get some TSB's taken care of as well as new wheel bearings. I'm gonna mention the AC problem when I drop her off.

·
Registered
210 Posts
A/C? Roll the windows down. I know, it sux in travic sitting still, but jsut turn the A/C on for the time your siting at a red light.

I can't help you other then that. Hope Ford fixes it for you. What TSB's you have to get?

·
Registered
1 Posts
having same problem

im having some what of the same problem with my 2002 ford focus and i was wondering what you did to fix yours?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts