Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so when i turn the key and the engine begins to turn over many times i get an almost grinding noise before it starts. It sounds like when you forget your car is on and try to start it again with the engine running. Sometimes it starts after the first time the noise occurs, other times it i will have to try to start her again, at which point she starts right up no problem. Starter motor issue or.......Thanks for input.

·
Registered
40 Posts
First make sure your positive battery terminal and cables are first of corrosion. There is a Ford bulletin on this issue.

The issue you describe matches what I had perfectly. I called it a "bark". If you started the car just right it'd be minimal but often you couldn't stop the key (while starting it) before you got barked at. This bark would last a bit, and if you retried to start the car it'd fire up more quickly.

My wife tells me she had this issue for about 3 years. Last year it got a bit worse, louder. I decided to replace the starter, problem fixed. It's been over a year now and the new (reman) starter is good 95% of the time, and a tiny tiny bit of bark/bite on some starts.

Here is my thread where I whined/complained about the started installation: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253669

LOL I guess I did this install this March, seemed a long time ago! The non-"Gold" starter that I got from Autozone only has a 1 yr warranty, might be better to get the Lifetime if that unit will fit. My starter cost $119. If I was to do this installation again I would say it'd take me about 3 hours from start to completely buttoned up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts