Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the search didnt turn up anything on this topic. I recently went to the shop and had the 2 mufflers removed and added a magnaflow muffler. It gave it a much deeper tone, but you cant really hear it when it drives by. I had a friend take it out on teh road and you cant really hear it until it comes up, but when in the car you can hear it pretty well. Also it is almost dead silent at idle, and I'd like a little rumble at idle, and get the volume up on it but still maintain the deep tone.

What my question is to you guys is, how would the car sound straight piped from the second cat to the bumper. I am concerned that it might have that bumblebee sound to it

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
it might start to get the bee sound. i have a flex back exhaust with 2.5inch piping with the magnaflow muffler. and you can tell my car is running when idling but you walk a few feet away and cannot hear it. that'll probably be the same with an 4-cyl unless its some ungodly creature that burns alcohol.

i was behind a integra the other week, and i could hear it pretty good but then when he stomped on it i got such a headache it was just such a piearcing sound it was unreal.

so if you get louder idle, you'll get way louder load sound. what piping do you have? if its 2.25inches you can go to like my size with the 2.5 and that should help some.

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
You should look under your car. The only way to run a straight pipe would be to run it right over the bottom of the fuel tank, and it would hang down very close to the ground.

You could replace the Magnaflow with just a pipe though, that would make you loud. If you want to make it loud and get some more performance-- get a header. I've heard that makes the cars very loud.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What can I do to increase the idle tone, but still keep the low tone it has, because I really hate that bee sound, but I want it to even be a bit deeper in tone but louder at idle

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol, well I'm sriously thinking about straight piping it, but I dont know if they would be willing to reinstall it if i dont like it. anyone have any sound clips of this? I looked in the sound clip/video thing but I didnt see much in there.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am now thinking, would having a can style muffler at the bumper give it a louder tone, b/c now i have it right before the rear suspension, and some pipe ran back to the bumper. Not really a fan of the can style but the svt resr will probably hie most of it and I want it to fun straight back not crooked

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
draxxas and i believe HKS make a under rear sub-frame exhaust, so the straighter shot of exhaust could give a louder tone possibly, also they both use can styles. maybe they can copy it?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
i kinda had that problem...i bought some nameless straight through can muffler, chopped off the tip and had them put it where the first muffler is (in the middle of the car) and put the tip at the end of the pipe. this thing was huge though, as in it was like 20 inches long and like a diameter of 6 inches, turned out to be way too quiet. i said screw it and put an 18 inch resonator in place of and sounds great.....i will have to post a vid up tomorrow. still have the cool tip though lol.

other than that, i'm too scared to do a header cuz if i want to sell my car i dont want to be a bastard and the person who gets it will fail emissions because of me.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
il be running my dual str8 back and then Y off, im thinking as long as you dont lower your car crazy low it should be fine. i migh add a brace or scratch plate under the pipe to keep it guarded orm any damage just in case

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
SidewayzS15 said:
Well the search didnt turn up anything on this topic. I recently went to the shop and had the 2 mufflers removed and added a magnaflow muffler. It gave it a much deeper tone, but you cant really hear it when it drives by. I had a friend take it out on teh road and you cant really hear it until it comes up, but when in the car you can hear it pretty well. Also it is almost dead silent at idle, and I'd like a little rumble at idle, and get the volume up on it but still maintain the deep tone.

What my question is to you guys is, how would the car sound straight piped from the second cat to the bumper. I am concerned that it might have that bumblebee sound to it
I have straight piping from the 2nd cat to the tip.....with a 14" glasspack in there.....

I maybe getting a longer glasspack and going up too 2.5" soon though, it sounds really nice...I get comlpiments at the car wash and gas stations all the time.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well thanks everyone for the helpful replies, I just ran a straight pipe back to the tip from the 2nd cat and it sounds perfect. Glad you guys are here to help [thumb]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts