Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thats the only kind of filter i can find around here. my dad told me to use wix but i dont see it anywhere. so stp or fram?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Your local Ford dealer should have Motorcraft. If those are the only two brands you can find local, I'd use either one and then mail order several good filters in from an online source.

Gary

·
Registered
78 Posts
You dad is correct. The Wix is a superior filter over the Fram. If you can't find a Wix, then I would try to get a genuine Motorcraft . Other filters that are good are Purolator, NAPA Gold,Mobil 1,Bosch and K&N off the top of my mind. If you have to go with a Fram, go with the TG8316 but STAY AWAY from the PH8316 which is about the worst filter you can get. It uses cardboard end caps and uses less filtering material than all of the rest.

·
Registered
496 Posts
No auto parts stores in Texas?
Purolator PureOne Micron filter $5.99 at most auto parts stores...Autozone, Cheakers, Advanced Auto Parts, PepBoys...
There must be one near by.

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you have a checker auto store down there they will stock K&N and they are the only filter I will use other than WIX.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I work at a ford dealer and the filter size for a duratec is a fl-910. It should only run you about five bucks or so from ford and will be better than most aftermarket filters. the only aftermarket filter brand that we would use on a ford duratec is a WIX brand filter.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
wix = carquest

but in filtering capabilties mopar >*

seriously.. i perfer the k&n gold becuase of it's suerior flow capabilites,

·
Registered
47 Posts
fram = piece of $h1t, if you have an engine concern and they find a fram filter on your car, warranty will not pay for the repair, trust me i have been through it before

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
I never heard that one before. That sounds highly illegal.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
chilledboost said:
fram = piece of $h1t, if you have an engine concern and they find a fram filter on your car, warranty will not pay for the repair, trust me i have been through it before
they might have just done that to you if you did the oil change and not them, so they tried blaming it on you and putting a diff filter ont here. some dealerships do shitty things..

oh ps: what times does that vr4 run stock? my cousin wants one bad , and i'm just curious. i used to own a dodge stealth es

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Egz said:
I never heard that one before. That sounds highly illegal.
fram cheaps out on their filters and doesn't put the anti-drain vavle in a lot of tehm, therefore you are not using an equivlent for replacment.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hm i didnt know that, i guess its a good thing i got the stp one then. i tink i did. lol. oh well, i need to cange my oil again soon anyways. probably going to move up to full synthetic, i use motorcraft synthetic blend right now. i have 32k miles on the focus(which is good, its an 04and i do delivery for pizza hut.) but on the engine which is rebuilt, i think as of now it has probably...20k, or so. oh and they just started stocking k&n gold and mobil 1. how about which one of those??

whats the best synthetic oil? they dont stock royal purple anywhere here either.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I use castrol syntec and motorcraft oil filter...I've looked at some comparisons between different synthetic oils and other than your amsoil and royal purple, castrol syntec was ranked up near the top in many of the test given. I've always been partial to castrol for some reason though.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
fram cheaps out on their filters and doesn't put the anti-drain vavle in a lot of tehm, therefore you are not using an equivlent for replacment.
I know that. I meant it is illegal of the dealer to deny warranty work because of using a non-Motorcraft filter. Thousands of service center use Fram filters because they are cheap and work (don't read that as high quality).

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
klipsch said:
I use castrol syntec and motorcraft oil filter...I've looked at some comparisons between different synthetic oils and other than your amsoil and royal purple, castrol syntec was ranked up near the top in many of the test given. I've always been partial to castrol for some reason though.
Where was this? I'd like to see it.

I've always stayed away from Castrol because for the longest time they were advertising semi-synthetic oil as fully synthetic.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
05sangriaZX3 said:
If walmart is near you, they have Motorcraft FL910 for only $3.29 and Motorcraft 5-20w oil for $10.20 good deal IMO. [thumb]
yeah, i use that oil now, but i plan on movin on up to full synthetic

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Motorcraft oil filter at walmart and Valvoline or Mobil 1 fully synthetic motor oil.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Egz said:
I know that. I meant it is illegal of the dealer to deny warranty work because of using a non-Motorcraft filter. Thousands of service center use Fram filters because they are cheap and work (don't read that as high quality).

UNLESS, it is not an equivilent to motorcraft parts. read your owners manual. the mag-moss warranty act says that they cant void your warranty unless the they specificly define it, and in the case of the focus, intakes and exhuast could void the new car warranty. (from the 2006 ford new car warranty guide)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts