Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago my battery light came on, then back off. Didnt think anything of it. I dont drive my car much so I thought the battery was low because of the cold and not driving it.
Today I drove it to work, the bank and headed home ( about 50 miles). On the way home it started to spudder and the gauges quit working, so I hightailed it home. Wouldnt you know it I caught a friggin train, rev'd it up so it wouldn't die, overheated popped the top hose. Shut it off, towed it home bought parts (hose, alt, belt, and 180 thermostat... friggin $300!), installed everything (way too long), the belt was 2-3" shorter, but fit. Fired her up, mother friggin squeal! Didnt have it before, do now. Dont know if it's the water pump, idler or the tension pulley. Could I have fried a pully in the 3 mins or could the belt be too tight? I hope its the belt, I cant afford anymore right now !

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
A belt 2-3" shorter isn't going to fit unless you really force it on, if even then.

The question you need to address is why the belt broke in the first place. That is the part you have yet to repair.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A belt 2-3" shorter isn't going to fit unless you really force it on, if even then.

The question you need to address is why the belt broke in the first place. That is the part you have yet to repair.
The belt didnt break, i figured since I had to belt off and replacing the alternator I might as well replace it. I bought it with 98k on it and dont know the sevice history.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Let's review,
Battery light intermittently comes on, car overheats ...

Seems to me both have the accessory belt in common. So either the belt was broke, slipping or being severely slowed because of drag (seized pulley/accessory).
So you're best bet is to remove the belt and find the problem by spinning each by hand. The bad one should be pretty evident.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
^^yep, check each pulley. One will be noisy/loose/otherwise screaming for attention.

There's a good chance you didn't actually need the alternator you just put on...sorry man, but throwing parts is expensive if you don't know what's causing the problem.

Double-check that you got the right belt for your engine and accessories. A non-AC belt is shorter, for example, than one for an AC-equipped one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
And the tensioner and idle pulleys are cheap. I normally change them when I change the belt, just to be safe, honestly.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drove it Sunday, squealed for a block then gone.
Im planning on replacing all the pulleys in near future w/timing belt, that was a big hit on the budget and need to recoup. Doing the Masive underpulleys, adjustable cam gears and gates racing blt.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
You could have done all that for the price of a potentially unnecessary alternator (and probably thermostat, though that only added $12 to the bill)...just sayin'.

Seriously, check the pulleys...you can do it yourself fairly quickly. You don't have to undo it entirely, just slip it off the tensioner and check each one in turn, then slip it back on.
If it's something that's about to go, it might leave you stranded again and paying out even more money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts