Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am embarking on a turbo project with my focus.

At first I was almost 100% decided to put lower compression pistons, and stronger billet rods in my engine, since I read in Fast Fords Zetec turbocharging guide that the pistons and the billet rods are the weakest part of any zetec engine, only good for 250-280bhp.

They're brits, so of course they're thinking of tuning the zetec to 300bhp or more, and they recommended getting lower compression pistons (7.8-8.0:1 CR) and H-Beam rods.

I'm only intending to boost about 10psi, because I'm only aiming for 200bhp or so.

What do you think, you think I need the change my pistons and rods? (my current CR is 9.6:1)

I've also heard about people having success with spacer plates, lifting the head a little, and lowering compression to maybe 9.0:1?

Oh and the turbine I'll be fitting will be a garret t28 (if that matters? [:)])

Any comments are welcome [:)]

·
FF Affiliate
30,882 Posts
NO there is no need to lower the compression for your goal in power the stock stuff with proper turbo kit fuel and tuning will be no problem to 250 or 260 HP

What are you doing for tuning?

Tom

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I run my car on 95 octane unleaded fuel (BP or Exxon).

Tuning is a pretty loose term, but I'll answer as well as I can.

I'll install a SMT-6 piggy-back computer, larger throttle body (65mm focus central), iridium spark plugs (rated for 180+ bhp, as they're a little colder, also I'll be getting a 2.5" exhaust as soon as I have the turbo installed.

Also I'm gonna need bigger injectors, but I'm not sure whether 36lb injectors will do, any ideas?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as for turbo kit, I'm not 100% decided but I was thinking about the Bell Engineering kit, or to custom build one.

·
Registered
178 Posts
just get tom's kit shipped to you, and then you will have everything included, including MIC (MAF, Injectors, and Chip)

http://focus-power.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts