Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, when I was washing my car last weekend I noticed that my taillights are melting/distorting! I have stock light bulbs (from factory) and housings, the housings have been lightly tinted but not over the part where the bulb is. Has anyone experienced this?
I find it a little odd that they would do this being stock, now I know it gets hotter then [8D][8D][8D][8D] in Vegas but I've never had this happen in 8 years of living here. From behind.
Up close with a clip board to show the indent.

Any ideas on WTF is going on.[dunno]

Bob

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
I got the same thing.Tinted. No different bulbs. Dont know whats doing or causing this. Will be switching to LED tail lights soon.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have the wonderful LEDs installed in my 08 two years and they are still going strong!. I removed the stock housings 2 weeks after I bought the car and boxed em up in the closet. I will be moving to hot Arizona soon so maybe its a good thing I switched to the LEDs. I guess I could try to sell the new condition stock tail lights I will think on it. (NOTE) I googled Focus tail light housing melting and came up with many reports of this problem. What is interesting all the people that reported this problem had tinted their tail lights. Also the people that reported this problem found it impossible to even change the light bulb out in the housing. It seems that the socket becomes deformed as well as the lens. Also Ford dealers are refusing to warranty out the melted lights. Ford claims the lights melt due to driving in too much stop and go traffic. I find this excuse unbelievable!. In all my years I have never had a tail light housing melt like these reported ones seem to be doing!. The good news is there are many sets of these OEM lights for sale by private parties for around $75.00 a set. That's a far better price than the $180.00 each side Ford charges for them!.

·
Registered
209 Posts
same thing happened to me. tinted tails and they melted on me. i will probably buy the led's or just buy the OEM SES ones.

·
Registered
302 Posts

·
Unicorn Owner
2,757 Posts
The tint actually creates a oven like effect on the tail light housing. Anything from film to spray will help trap heat behind it, it starts off slow and accelerates the closer the housing gets to the bulb. It happens to all tinted lights sadly, even the hatches from the 1st gens.

And the Las Vegas heat probably accelerates the process as well.

But it did happen to me as well, I figure once it actually starts being a problem I'll just LED upgrade em.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The crap part is the melted section is the area Not tinted! I spend on average 8-10hrs a day in the car with my lights on, that along with the heat obviously caused this. Well when the time comes I will put led bulbs in new housings.
We should post a warning to the '08+ crew to not tint your tails unless you run led bulbs!
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Unicorn Owner
2,757 Posts
did you use a film tint or a spray on tint?

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used Rvinyl "light" 30% tint on the non lighted portions of the stock assemblies. In my first photo you can see the area around the bulbs are not tinted.

Bob

·
Registered
395 Posts
I can see metallic window tint causing a buildup of heat inside the bulb, but tinted vinyl shouldn't have done that... Regardless, switch to the aftermarket LED tails or get LED drop in bulbs for the new OEM housings.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep gonna go with some drop in LEDs soon, got any recommendations?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yep gonna go with some drop in LEDs soon, got any recommendations?
These are the ONLY 2 choices...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2pcs-3156-3157-13W-High-Power-LED-Red-Stop-Turn-Bulbs-/200649043368?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb79d6da8

OR

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2x-RED-3157-3156-27-5050-SMD-LED-TURN-BRAKE-LIGHT-BULBS-/250709538126?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a5f73f54e

Both should have very similar light output. The second bulb just puts out the light in a more dispersed pattern.

Don't be fooled by how bright bulbs look in photos, cause they can be taken using difference camera exposure settings.
The only TRUE way to compare bulbs is side by side in the same photo, or two separate photos taken with the same exposure settings.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Don't be fooled by the number of LEDs like most people.
Here's the amber version of the first bulb I recommended above vs another LED bulb consisting of 63(!) LEDs.
Compare the size of the halos to determine which is brighter.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow, i think thats the first I have ever seen of LED's side by side.
Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts