Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Stock speakers with aftermarket HU?

Hello everyone,

I am very new to car audio and have what would be a simple question. I recently acquired a Pioneer DEH-P6800 head unit and also have a set of decent Alpine speakers.

Currently I don't have any time to install the speakers (I'll get a chance to do that in June) but I would like to install the head unit before my road trip this Friday.

The instructions that came with the head unit says the speakers need to be rated for at least 50W and 4-8 ohms. Otherwise, I am warned, the speakers may smoke or catch on fire! I read here in the forums that the stock speakers for a 2003 ZX3 with the Blaupunkt unit (non-premium audio) are rated for 4 ohms and 22W. Is it safe to install the head unit anyway for a short while? Or should I wait until I get a chance to install the speakers as well?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yes, you can install it. That headunit will only put out around 17-18w RMS, so you will be fine. Just don't play it as loud. Once you start hearing distortion, turn it down. The speakers wouldn't catch fire.... they would just blow.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I saw that when I put my Pioneer Premier DEH-P680 in the other day.

I was like: "What the hell? Cause a fire?" I told my room-mate that according to pioneer if I don't upgrade my speakers then my tires will go flat and I'll be engulfed in locusts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts