Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
fOCUS Zetec 2.0
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying a peripheral adapter from Crutchfield for my Alpine CD Changer and just wanted to know if anybody knew who makes the stock single disc unit in the ZX3 and most other Foci. I'm from Australia but I know we have the same head unit, just ours is RDS-EON capable as it is sourced from Europe. Is it a Blaupunkt unit? That's what I seem to believe, just want to confirm with anyone who knows for sure as it doesn't actually say on the head unit as you all know.

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
81 Posts
Everything that I've heard tells me that the single cd head unit is a Blaupunkt unit. Their website says they are the OE manufacturer for the Focus. If you're sure it's the same where you are then I think it's pretty safe to say it's a Blaupunkt. BTW, what is RDS-EON? Is that another radio broadcast format?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I pulled the base CD player out of my '03 SVTF today. It's made by Visteon.

·
fOCUS Zetec 2.0
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Chucko - I take it you have the premium 6-disc unit in your SVT... I only have the single disc unit. RDS-EON is a European only system that broadcasts signals hidden within the transmission which give the radio signals for a kind of updated time clock, information about traffics reports and stuff like that, even radio station classification. So you can set it to search for rock stations in an unknown area or country, or scan for traffics reports, or even whilst playing a CD you can have it automatically pause the CD, play the traffic report and then go back to your CD when it's finished. All without lifting a finger. NICE. But Australia and the USA are too big to have the networks for this installed, by my reckoning it's only viable in Europe due to smaller distances and much higher traffic plus radio taxes...

Mine looks identical to the US spec model, however it has RDS-EON which is useless in Australia anyway. Silly really, but it's just that our cars come straight off the boat from Europe as they are sold on the showroom there... no complaints from me :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Visteon unit I mentioned above is a single-disc CD player. I don't even think it plays MP3s.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts