Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so on my intake there is on top a big "box" with a tube running through that and on the box is this clear cylindrical tube with red markers on it and on the top says "push to reset" then there is the downtube leading to my filter behind my bumper. can anyone tell me what that "box" on top is?

·
Panamasian
2,590 Posts
is it a pzev?

·
Registered
258 Posts
You have a PZEV (partial zero emissions vehicle) The push to reset is for checking the longevity of your "lifetime" air filter. How many miles are on your car? The new air filter assembly from Ford runs around $400. Some guys replace the whole system for a SRI or CAI.

·
Registered
90 Posts
to sum it up, Your focus gets air from about 5 feet of plastic intake.

The short peice that goes to the first box, then goes down thru the Mass air sensor, which then leads into a Bend into the Lifetime filter located inside the front fendor, which then has about 3 feet of snorkel that terminates near the windshield.

Bigger box is the filter, long plastic is the snorkel, smaller box being the Pzev butterfly emmiter trap.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Actually all focus's with the Duratec from about '05 to '07 have that air intake system. It contains a non replaceable 100000 mile air filter. the little clear thing with the red and green marks is the indicator that tells you when the filter is finished. Replacement is EXPENSIVE! Otherwise it is fine unless you want to increase the performance of the vehicle because it is pretty much tuned to make what it is making right now. Mime has 50000 miles on it and the indicator hasn't moved.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so then that big box is my filter then right? thats what i was thinking. ive been hearing that when it comes time to replace the filter that i have to replace the whole thing correct?

·
Registered
51 Posts
hi f_o_c_u_s !
I've recently replaced my stock air intake with a stealth cai. In the photo above, you see the air filter + the intake hose that sits above your left wheel. The filter itself is almost invisible, because its located very low between the left wheel and the fender. The part on the bottom of the photo is the resonator, a sort of silencer, which is visible in the upper part of the engine bay.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so ive been hearing that when it comes time to replace this setup that the best way to go is to just replace it with a cold air intake or a short ram intake is this true?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thats the general idea I'm finding out as I peruse the forums. When mine is done, I'll probably just do the stealth CAI, unless I can find a Cosworth Intake somewhere! [8D] BTW - nice car!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
You try breathing thru that!

so ive been hearing that when it comes time to replace this setup that the best way to go is to just replace it with a cold air intake or a short ram intake is this true?
You wil find your engine is going to breath a lot better= more effiant=power & econimy= better reponse! For SRI go w/ Steeda/ For CAI go w/ Focuswerk's. You will find it a lot easier to remove the stock air filter w/ the front bumper cover removed, it's easier than you think too!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@MysticGold04 yea thats what im going to do. im going to by the steeda filter though. and just use my existing MAF tube and buy the parts i need to do that. thanks :) nice to see my car has a cousin.

·
Registered
128 Posts
<---- sits back and waits for a carb approved cai to come up for sale. I ain't putting all that crap back on to smog lol!

Thanks for the pic of the stock system brown. I had no idea these cars had so much plumbing for the air intake! I took the silencer/resonator box of out my ex-wife's 2.3L fusion but it wasn't Pzev and it didn't have all that crap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wait a minute! I pulled my airbox out and it looked exaclt ylike the one in the photo the guy posted above. My car doesnt say PZEV anywhere? How would i know if its PZEV or not?

·
Registered
19 Posts
What are the recommendations for replacing with a CAI? My wife's 2006 Focus has 100,000 on it and I'm sure the filter will show it needs replacing soon. I have a Mustang and am very familiar with the options for that, but can't seem to find as much information for the Focus.

And if I replace the stock set up with an aftermarket CAI, will I need a tune for her car or will it run fine without throwing a code?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts