Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a 2006 focus zx4 my stock intake is still on i was lookin at it the other day and noticed a large "box" going to the downtube that then leads to the filter box. what exactly is that large box for? all it looks like is a tube incased in a box. theres a clear "tube" on the side with red marker indicators and on the top says "press to reset" can anyone tell me exactly what this box is? and is it necessary?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
2006 ZX4. I'm guessing that is the Duratec, not the Zetec.

And I'm guessing you are seeing the "lifetime air filter" that Ford saddled some of those with.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
That big black box down there is used to filter out things before it gets closer to the top box. That lower box is necessary or you have a better chance of sucking water and extra dirt. Then there is a box up top with a filter in it i am pretty sure. My bolts were stripped so i couldn't open it. I researched the price of replacing the whole system because ford says you are supposed to do it every 100k miles. Its like 300 bucks to replace the whole thing. That whole system in my opinion is a power sucker. so save up and buy an air intake from Fs werks, K&N, or AEM. and he has a Duratec because they stopping making Zetecs in 2005 i believe. I bought a K&N and i feel a difference in even throttle response.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The one in your bumper is a series of channels. to prevent rain sand etc from getting to the actual filter part.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts